Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjhin

Propagation Advice

cjhin
19 years ago

Hi

I just got these seeds. I am trying out some winter rainfall plants and I will be growing them in pots. I have been reading up on their propagation but I cannot find much info on most. Does anyone have any experience or advice on propagating any of them? I am in a summer rainfall area in South Africa that is about a zone 9.

Androcymbium pulchrum

Diplosoma luckhoffi

Geissorhiza splendidissima

Hesperantha pauciflora

Lachenalia zebrina

Massonia depressa

Moeraea atropunctata

Romulea monodelpha

Sparaxis elegans

Thanks

Charles

Comments (6)

• conroe_joe
    19 years ago

Hi,

I can't say too much about many of the species. But I am trying a few Lachenalia and having success so far. I'm a little worried about their first summer.

L. zebrina (I think most Lachenalia species) is a "winter grower." I germinated them in winter, outdoors here in Conroe, TX. They were fine at temperatures down to 25 F, and with pots close to the house. The point is that they need cool nights to grow because they have evolved in the part of South Africa that has rain in winter, and no rain in summer.

I'm thinking to bring my seedlings indoors for the summer. Last year I had some coming along fine and then they died about the end of June--presumably too much heat and humidity. They are not plants that enjoy humidity, but many species tolerate it if the nights are cool.

So, if you have just gotten seed be sure to check out the recommendations. You'll find that, for the most part, Lachenalia seeds are best germinated in fall or winter, when night temperatures routinely fall to 55 F or lower.

If I can get my plants through their first summer, I plan on them being strong enough to survive dormancy. For African bulbs that want summer dormancy, I just grow them in pots and put the pots away about the first of May or so. I stop watering them in April and put the entire pot up on a shelf in the laundry room (air conditioned). Then, I bring the pot out and water it in September.

Some winter-growing bulbs will tolerate Houston summers, but many will not (especially those originating from very arid areas).

One problem they might have in zone 9 is occasional very cold weather. This is another reason to keep them in pots, you can grow them in winter on a sunny porch and move the pot into the garage if there are a few days when temperatures drop too low. What is too low? I plan to move my Lachenalia when temps are forecast to 25 F--some Lachenalia may be able to take more cold than that.

One more thing, they require good drainage. I mix up a soil that allows water to run right through. Perhaps the mix is 1/2 potting soil (no peat moss in the mix), 1/4 perlite and 1/4 coarse sand. I grow them in clay pots in the Conroe area because I'm more worried about too much water than too little.

Here is a link that might be useful: PBS Archived Note on on Lachenalia

• cjhin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks so much.

I will be sowing the seeds this weekend.

I have found that Lachenalia zebrina comes from the Namaqualand which is very dry. I will be growing them in an aridarium (word I discovered yesterday, I just called it the succulent house:-)) where they will get no summer rain and will be protected from frost. Your warning on too much water is noted. I will be careful.

Thanks again and I will let you know how it goes.
    Charles

• faeden
    19 years ago

You're sooooo lucky to be living in that wonderful place! Hopefully you've already looked at the following sites, but if not, here they are:

http://www.plantzafrica.com/ (National Botanical Institute)
    http://www.nbi.ac.za/frames/kirstfram.htm (Kirstenboch)

You also must know about Silverhill Seeds, don't you? They're marvelous!

Here're some books you might find useful:

Manning, John, Peter Goldblatt & Dee Snijman, The Color Encyclopedia of Cape Bulbs. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon USA, 2002.

Bryan, John, Bulbs. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon USA, 2002.

Doutt, Richard L., Cape Bulbs. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon USA, 1994.

Goldblatt, Peter & John Manning, Cape Plants: A Conspectus of the Cape Flora of South Africa. National Botanic Institute of South Africa, 2000.

Found most of the genera of your plants in these books, with the exception of the Diplosoma. Only one small reference in the "Cape Plants" book.

Hope this helps.

• cjhin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi

Thanks so much. I will see if I can get these books at my local library. I agree Silverhill Seeds is great, I have received nothing but outstanding service from them. I visit Plantzafrica every Monday morning during my coffee break to check out the new additions. In a couple of years time they are going to be able to publish a wonderful book with all that material!

Best regards

• cjhin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So far 13 out of 100 Massonia depressa seeds have germinated. Still waiting for the other species.

• cjhin
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Everything but Geissorhiza splendidissima and Diplosoma luckhoffi has germinated. Have not counted how many of each.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville