Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raining_in_or

Ixia Viridiflora and Ixia Maculata...what are your thoughts?

raining_in_or
20 years ago

Hello,

Someone just gave me some corms from these two plants (i. viridiflora and i. maculata). I found very little information online about their growing conditions or habits. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Oh, I also received some seeds from them. Has anyone tried growing them from seeds too? I was just going to give them a shot, but I'm not expecting much.

Thanks in advance!

Rochelle

Comments (2)

• greenwitch
    20 years ago

I remember reading that Ixia viridiflora is subject to rotting, so it should be planted on a base of sand, say 1/2" and in well draining soil mix. It is also not very long-lived, so keep harvesting and starting seed. The flower is a beautiful luminous mint green, a whole field of them is stunning! I would wait until the fall to start the seed, less likely to rot/fail during the summer's warm weather. I'm pretty sure they go dormant during the summer and need to be kept dry from about June to September, just like where they grow in South Africa (different months though because of the southern hemisphere). You may want to plant them in pots so you can put them in a sheltered place to keep them dry.

• deLYNeation
    20 years ago

Apologies for the lateness of this message. Was busy for quite a while, not tuned in. I do agree w/ the above message from Greenwitch re. drainage.

I've grown Ixias in pots for 20 yrs, in Central Coast Calif. & No. Cal. climates. In the fall I place about 20 corms on top of planting mix in a med. to lg. pot, cover w/ about 1" of soil mix ,place in a protected spot & water during the winter if we have a dry spell. In Oregon you'll have to find a frost protected spot & not allow them to remain soaked. Have a conservatory or protected place under the eaves? that should work, covered w/ a fluffy mulch like pine needles or something. Foliage (spearlike) begins to emerge in spring (remove the mulch) after Dutch bulbs have bloomed.

I water during bloom & fertilize sparingly. They like a warm spot, so place near a west or south wall. I use the cut blooms inside for arrangements - great colors.

When foliage browns & looks tacky, move pot to storage area, (move to garage or shed?) in protected area out of rain or sprinklers. allow to dry thoroughly. Cut foliage back to ground when totally brown. In the fall, bring them out & begin watering. Easy, easy, they'll bloom for years this way.

Ixias are wonderful additions to my front entry, fun & uncommon.