Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

Help me with choose my plant combinations

jxa44
20 years ago

Hi Everyone,

I'm starting to landscape and am looking for some good plant combinations. I currently have planted together: Agapanthus 'Impertus', verbascum 'bombyciferum' and David Austin Rose 'the dark lady'. I'd like to find a plant that blooms in the summer along with the rose and the agapanthus in a cerise or medium pink color. But I suppose any hot color -- yellow, orange, purple -- will work.

I've also thought of planting chasmanthe along with the agapanthus, as they bloom opposite of each other (chasmanthe = late winter/early spring and agapanthus = late spring/early summer), but can't think of a good companion to plant while the chasmanthe is in bloom -- any ideas?

And lastly, what ever companion plant i pick needs to be drought resistent.

All suggestions welcomed. Thanx.

joyceb

Comments (3)

• georgeinbandonoregon
    20 years ago

lychnis coronaria (crown-pink,rose campion) has nice silvery foliage and magenta/pink flowers and is very tough. santolina has silver foliage all year and harmonizes with everything---especially when you cut off the yellow flowers, which aren't that great anyway.

• ShamanSherpa
    20 years ago

Good summer companion plants for the roses and agapanthus would be Salvias.

Check out S. maderensis (Yellow)
    S. microphylla (Pink)
    S. vanhoutei (Reddish-pink)
    S. fulgens (Scarlet)
    S. canariensis (pink)
    S. x pratensis 'Indigo Spires' (purple)
    S. guaranitica (purple)

Or...you could plant Crocosmia. Any of the orange-flowered cultivars would look particularly striking next to the purple umbels of the Agapanthus. Plus, it's in keeping with the whole "South African" motif. However, it can be invasive...watch out!

Also....if you are looking for something to bloom with the Chasmanthe...try a White watsonia--W. borbonica ssp. ardernei. It's a late-winter/early spring bloomer--just like the Chasmanthe. It blooms much taller than the chasmanthe and the orange/white combination looks very beautiful.

-Shamansherpa

• jxa44
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Shamansherpa, I actually have most of the salvias you suggest. I like adding S. guaranitica or S. microphylla to the garden bed. I think S. canariensis would be too large for the area and would overpower the agapanthus and the rose.

I also have crocosmia, not orange, but the red flowering 'lucifer'. Maybe all I need to do is a little plant re-arranging from my yard ;-)

Love your planting suggestion for the white watsonia. Right now the watsonia is planted in a "white bed" next to the shasta daisies -- boring! I really like your idea of planting it next to the chasmanthe. This combination is an exceptionally bright and cheery way to welcome spring!

Georgeinbendoregon, I don't recognize either of the plants you suggest (lychnis coronaria or santolina). I guess I'll have to do a little web research :-)

Thank you both for your wonderful suggestions. My garden is coming together slowly but surely!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21