Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving gazania and osteospermum seed

Posted by pegwrite z7MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 05 at 7:23

Does anyone know how to or if you can save the seedheads from gazania so can sow them next year. I live in zone 7. Also, can this be done with osteospermum?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving gazania and osteospermum seed

Hi Pegwrite,
I have been wondering the same thing myself.
I planted a hanging basket full of Gazinias this spring,
and they did beautifully, until they all went to seed.
And I thought they were done for. I saved one seed head
but am not quite sure what to do with it.

But now I am getting a second set of blooms! Which is great.
And it also looks like I have baby gazinias in my planter.
Do they always resew this easy?

If anyone knows, I would like to know as well.
Thanks,
Friesfan1

o
RE: saving gazania and osteospermum seed

* Posted by: flowerbrackob z4 WI (My Page) on Wed, Sep 21, 05 at 13:11

I have a question about these loverlies.................also a comment................when the dry fuzzies appeared after each bloom was finished, I spread them around and I have hundreds of new baby plants. I was considering two things: gently removing the babies, transplanting them and finish growing them indoors OR: why not just dig up the whole ones plantedand bring them indoors for the winter cheer?
Guess I could experiment; maybe ya'll have ideas or even done it already without starting from seeds in Feb/Mar. I may just have to save more fuzzies!!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here