Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crinum bulbispermum color

Posted by Conroe_Joe 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 03 at 13:00

Hi,

I think my plant is C. bulbispermum and that the species is variable. I have one without noticeable pink or red on the petals, the stripes on the outside of the petals are greenish-tan. It does have a pink style. Anther sacs are white. The petals are ivory, and the flowers appear ivory from a distance becuase the outer color is not strong. The flowers don't hang down much and are about 7 inches long, with about half of that devoted to the tube behind the corolla (typical C. bulbispermum).

Is this a typical color for C. bulbispermum? I've always thought of the species as having pink and white flowers. It is a foundling with typical C. bulbisperumum blue-gray-green foliage and long tapering leaves.

Cordially,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crinum bulbispermum color

• Posted by QueenB z8b East TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 26, 03 at 16:12

I have C. bulbispermum with the red stripes down the petals, and my mother has C. bulbispermum album. From what I've seen doing research on these, trying to ID another species I have, C. bulbispermum is a variable plant, especially good for hybridizing because of this trait.

QB

o
RE: Crinum bulbispermum color

Yes. Crinum bulbispermum is quite variable in a number of its flower characteristics especially the color. This can vary from the absense of red pigmentation where the keels of the tepals are green and the petals are icy white to just a slight bronzing where the keels have a slight reddish tint but the tepal body is still white to the keels being darker red, tepals still white to red pigment bleeding into the tepals making them pink to nearly red. This can be even more complicated by flowers that open a paler color and darken as they age. The extremes, the pure whites and the darker pinks and reds, tend to be the less common types, while the striped to semi-striped tend to be more common.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here