Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bird of paradise

Posted by rcoryh n.ca (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 29, 03 at 16:40

I have a bird of paradise that is about 45 years old and need to know if after the flower has dried up do I need to cut them off?Does the plant need to be pruned at all?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bird of paradise

LOL I just this minute posted a message saying I so wanted a Strelitzia here in Texas but the climate is a killer. Yes, remove the dead flowers and you can thin the leaves out if you want but it isn't really necessary. Strelitzias are often propogated from leaf cuttings, so if you want more of them, bear that in mind.

o
RE: bird of paradise

• Posted by Jover Tenerife (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 8, 03 at 18:44

It is not possible to propagate strelitzias from leafcuttings but I think you want to say from shoots.
The plant starts deviding it self in fans and each fan is a plant but normaly still conected with the rest.
When you divide them normaly you need to root them again so you will have a separated plant.
We normaly don't cut the flowers but pull them out of the motherplant so you don't get flowerrests in the plant.
Cleaning out will give more light inside the plant and give stronger and shorter flowers.

o
re: strelitzia reginae

Hi, the plants definitely do need to be "thinned" out when they become too bulky ... we had enormous success with transplanting roots and shoots from the Parent plant - definitely not leaves?! BTW they do seem to "sulk" for some years after the shifting. Much like cycads do.

Look forward to sharing news ... from the green hills of Kwazulu Natal
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here