Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briteros_gw

wilting african daisies after 3 mos

briteros
17 years ago

hello all... just when i thought my african daisies were doing well, they have started wilting on me! they bloomed quite well after planting it into the ground, but now, 3 months later, the leaves are starting to wilt. could this be due to too much water? i recently got my sprinkler system fixed, and they've been getting about 15 mins of water at 6am every morning. they're in a full sun area, so the ground should have enough time to dry out a bit from the bath... any help or advice that you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments (6)

• vetivert8
    17 years ago

Which sort of African daisies are you growing? Gazanias? Arctotis? Osteospermum? Gerberas? Something completely different?

A clue for the 'Sherlocks', please.

• briteros
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i just finally came across this response to my post last year... the african daisies i had were osteospermum. if you could help, that'd be great... i ended up digging out the old one and the same thing seems to be happening to the new batch that i planted :(

• wanda
    16 years ago

If they've been in the ground for 3 months and you're watering every day, I suspect they're getting too much water. Try watering once a week.

wanda

• inlimbo
    16 years ago

I don't have a sprinkler system - put me in the hose haulers category. But, my reading and experience is that less frequent, longer/deeper watering is more beneficial to plants, causing their roots to grow deeper. Watering for only 15 minutes seems awfully short a time to me. Maybe it's OK for annuals, but grass, shrubs & perennials like a deeper watering.

• earthmama76
    11 years ago

I planted 3 Osteospermum hybrid " Sunny Dark Amanda" African Daisies in a big pot spaced 6 inches apart in full sunlight. I live in Texas and it is hot and dry. I have been watering once a week and every 3rd week giving them a little Miracle Grow. The foliage looks great but they will not bloom! What am I doing wrong?! Thanks so much! The rest of my flowers look fab.

• denninmi
    11 years ago

earthmama76, it doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong, in fact, it sounds like you're doing everything right, as evidenced by the healthy look of the foliage.

These plants need cooler night temperatures to initiate flower buds. Even up here in Michigan, where our summers can be quite cool some years, these plants pretty much refuse to bloom during July and August, perhaps a flower or two, but mostly leaves. Then, when it cools off, they put on a nice show for September and keep going until hard freezes kill them in November. In Texas, they probably won't start to bloom again until October, but could go well into or even through the entire winter depending upon where you are and how cold it gets, I suspect in the very mildest parts of Texas, unless there is an abnormal freeze, these probably overwinter.

Here is a link that might be useful: A little blurb about these plants

Sponsored