Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greystoke_gw

Proteas in Pots - II

greystoke
16 years ago

I'm confused!

I've noticed that most recommendations for soil mixtures for Proteas is sand and peat(Camelia mix), but . . . I've NEVER seen wild Proteas grow in soil containing ANY form of organic matter.

Proteas grow in shale, and precious little else.

Am I missing something?

Comments (4)

• rob_rah
    16 years ago

In the wild it depends on the species... A great number do grow in shale and in rocky outcrops. About the next most common soil is sandstone/quarzite soils (which are often also rocky); often in montane regions, other times as low down as coastal sands (eg. P. scolymocephala).

But others are found in grassland (eg. P. caffra, P. welwitschii, P. dracomontana, etc.) and grassy montane slopes (eg. P. lorea etc.). Others come from moorland (eg. P. asymmetrica, etc.).

Others are happy in a wide variety of montane habitats (eg. P. nana, etc.).

The root-run of plants in the wild is of course in theory unrestricted. The roots can penetrate deep between fissures in shales and rocks and seek out purchase, moisture and whatever minerals they can get their hairs on. Runoff water from montane slopes (over shale or into rocky fissures) will also contain soluble minerals (surface materials such as animal remains/faeces and decomposing vegetative produce). The absence of an actual organic layer in the soil itself does not mean the soil is barren nor that the water which reaches the plants is inert.

When growing in pots the roots are very very restricted compared to this. We therefore have to compensate for this by adding increased organic matter to the soil to improve its water holding (and importantly, also therefore the soluble mineral holding) capacity. A plant in a pot has very limited root run compared to the wild, and to plant it in pure rock would mean it had virtually no chance of obtaining sufficient soluble minerals (or water indeed, unless we watered a few times every day) for its needs.

As an example, I recently repotted some Aulax plants from 3" pots into 5" pots. The plants are around 4-6" tall. The roots, when laid out during repotting were three feet or more in length. These plants come from sandy soils and use these roots to make sure they can get enough of what they need from the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Veld and Bush Flora Forum

• greystoke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How interesting!

IÂm no horticulturist, but IÂve hiked S. Africa and Namibia up and down. Seen proteas in the most stupendous settings. The most striking ones were the proteas on top of the Swartberg pass (see picture) The pass is just shale  very tricky footing  and then on top there are these proteas growing in nothing but rock!
    {{gwi:1236375}}
    Thanks for the link. I'm sure I can learn something. (Never too old . . . .)

Regards
    Greystoke

• rob_rah
    16 years ago

Stunning picture!

• greystoke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not mine I'm afraid. A friend e-mailed this to me quite a while ago.
    But I agree. It's a stunning picture, and its how I remembered these proteas.
    By-the-way: The pass has been closed to the public.

Sponsored