Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Watsonia -- When to divide

Posted by jrgardner z8b FL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 7, 06 at 17:14

My watsonia have been in the same place for three years now and I'm wondering now if it is time to divide them. The first two year's worth of blooms were wonderful, but this year was paltry in comparison. However, there seems to be many more leaves that there were. Would dividing help? and when is the best time (I'm assuming fall/winter, but I though I'd better ask). I'm in zone 8b.

Thanks,
JR

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Watsonia -- When to divide

Have you got the Watsonia that goes sort of dormant over July-August - and flowers in spring-early summer? If that's the one - lift it when it's dormant and plant on so it can start growing when the autumn rains arrive.

If you have heavy frosts - and the evergreen Watsonia - break the clump in spring so it has a good length of growing season to establish.

Is your clump getting plenty of sun and not too much food? They don't do well if they are in too much shade during the day.

o

Although with most bulbs you would wait for the foliage to die down, with Watsonias you can do it while they are still green. Just do it after they have finished flowering, but make sure you plant them as soon as you have divided them.

o

I'm not sure when they go dormant, but they are evergreen. They get full west sun and we don't have very cold winters (I'm in the NW part of Florida) and I don't really feed anything -- except by adding compost in the spring.

Thanks for your help with this. I'm going to give it a shot and divide them. It will be interesting to see how many plants are there -- I started with three bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here