Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cathyj_gw

Bulbinella

CathyJ
20 years ago

I received this plant in a trade a few years ago, knew absolutely nothing about it, but figured, what the heck, I'd give it a try! I believe it came from Texas so figured that I had best winter it over in the greenhouse and let it spend summers outside. It's done great and, even better, I have decided that I *really* like it. However, I am able to find next to nothing about it. I have tentatively identified it as B. latifolia, Cat's Tail, but am not exactly sure. The flowers are a medium salmon orange in color. I have half a dozen or more blooms this year; oddly, there are small plantlets developing at the top of the stems which, in turn, appear to be sending up their own small flower stalks. Very interesting plant.

Anyone have any info that they can share? Will the small plantlets root? Dare I plant it outside in the wet, rainy (although zone 8) Pac NW???

Any and all info is most appreciated - thanks!

Cahty

Comments (6)

• girlgroupgirl
    20 years ago

Hi Cathy:
    Recently I was also given some of this plant. It's taken our rainy spring/summer in stride, blooming beautifully in the heat and humdity with excellent drainage. I would plant it in fairly sandy soil with a nice bit of pea gravel just below some planting soil for winter drainage.

girlgroupgirl

• Garrickza
    20 years ago

The small plantlets on the sides develop roots and you can break them off the mother plant and they will grow easily. The plant definitly likes a sunny position , especially if you have a wet rainy climate. It is a usefull plant as well , break off about 2 of its nice fleshy leaves and crush them in your hands and rub the gell type of sap into your hand , allow a minute or two to dry and see how soft and silky your hands feel. The plant is very good for ones skin and helps almost any skin problems , psoriasis sufferers report excellent results using it.

• bahia
    20 years ago

Bulbinella robusta is the most commonly grown species here in northern California, and does perfectly well in Sunset zones 14-24, handling our winter rains and light frosts without problems, even in heavy clay soils. I am not sure that it would not get frost damage at temps below 28~29F, but if this is not a regular event all winter long, it will still survive and bloom in more inland places like Orinda/Walnut Creek, where the all time lows can get down to below 20F. The foliage is winter growing, and seems to prefer a dryer summer rest, although it has done just fine for me in summer irrigated gardens(drip irrigation), without rotting out, here in a Sunset zone 16/17 situation.

• jxa44
    20 years ago

does anyone have a local (SF bay area) source to purchase this plant?

• bahia
    20 years ago

You could ask your local retail nursery to order this from Suncrest Nursery in Watsonville, but as they are typically summer deciduous, it may not be available again until fall. By November or so they should be leafed out again, and should be easily available as a one gallon container.

• jxa44
    20 years ago

Thanx bahia!

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor