Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yesterday, today & tomorrow

Posted by jrodom81 z7 Chatt TN (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 8, 03 at 22:55

While visiting SA a few years ago I saw a large shrub/small tree that I was told had the above name. I know that it wouldn't overwinter here very well but I wondered if anyone might have a source in the SE US where I could get one. Also: does anyone know how this plant would survive indoors during the winter?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yesterday, today & tomorrow

The botanical name for this shrub is Brunsfelsia. It is not native to South Africa but does very well all over the country and is a very common garden shrub. It is covered with masses of medium to small flowers which are white , a lilac shade and purplish , hence its name as the flowers turn into the 3 differents colours. The flowers have a lovely fragrance. There is also one which has much larger flowers. They are fairly slow growing , I had one which reached abour 2.5 metres high in a house I previously stayed in. They can withstand a fair degree of frost.
They like full sun or semi shade. I have never seen them grown indoors but maybe you should experiment. I am amazed at the plants that Americans over winter or even grow indoors , things that here we could never imagine could be kept indoors.
There seem to be American suppliers of plants and seeds , try searching on Brunsfelsia and also Brunfelsia on Google.

o

There is a HUGE one in the greenhouse at Bellingrath Gardens right out of Mobile, Alabama-I love that plant, everytime I go to the gardens to see it,the scent---like honey, to me, just overwhelms me.

o

Thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, does anyone know where it is native if not SA?

o

Just in case anyone else is interested...after googling brunfelsia I found this site. It says the plant is native to Brazil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata - Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

o

It grows quite well in Houston, TX.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here