Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jrodom81

Yesterday, today & tomorrow

jrodom81
20 years ago

While visiting SA a few years ago I saw a large shrub/small tree that I was told had the above name. I know that it wouldn't overwinter here very well but I wondered if anyone might have a source in the SE US where I could get one. Also: does anyone know how this plant would survive indoors during the winter?

Comments (5)

• Garrickza
    20 years ago

The botanical name for this shrub is Brunsfelsia. It is not native to South Africa but does very well all over the country and is a very common garden shrub. It is covered with masses of medium to small flowers which are white , a lilac shade and purplish , hence its name as the flowers turn into the 3 differents colours. The flowers have a lovely fragrance. There is also one which has much larger flowers. They are fairly slow growing , I had one which reached abour 2.5 metres high in a house I previously stayed in. They can withstand a fair degree of frost.
    They like full sun or semi shade. I have never seen them grown indoors but maybe you should experiment. I am amazed at the plants that Americans over winter or even grow indoors , things that here we could never imagine could be kept indoors.
    There seem to be American suppliers of plants and seeds , try searching on Brunsfelsia and also Brunfelsia on Google.

• MissJuneBug
    20 years ago

There is a HUGE one in the greenhouse at Bellingrath Gardens right out of Mobile, Alabama-I love that plant, everytime I go to the gardens to see it,the scent---like honey, to me, just overwhelms me.

• jrodom81
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the info. Out of curiousity, does anyone know where it is native if not SA?

• jrodom81
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Just in case anyone else is interested...after googling brunfelsia I found this site. It says the plant is native to Brazil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floridata - Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow

• Carletta
    20 years ago

It grows quite well in Houston, TX.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths