Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus capensis seeds

Posted by Andy_SA South Australia (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 20, 03 at 1:16

Can anyone advise on sowing time/method for Ficus capensis? How long will the seeds remain viable inside the fruit?
Also, PURELY out of interest, are the fruits edible?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus capensis seeds

Andy, what is the common name of the Ficus capensis? I am familiar with Carpobrotus deliciosus which is a succulent, and which has the common name of Sour Fig ... and the fruits are used for jam. But I've never heard of Ficus capensis ... perhaps one of those rename tricks the botanists have been doing ? Please let us know, you have piqued my interest and your post has been sitting all lonely up there so give us more info about the plant's habit or other names, and let's see who else can contribute some info. D

o
RE: Ficus capensis aka Wild Fig tree (Wildevy)

Sorry, I should have gone read Una Van der Spuy's "South African Shrubs and Trees for the Garden" before i responded above ... now i know that it is a wild fig tree which can grow to 70 ft tall, but usually attains about 40 feet. Una states that "it is a spreading deciduous or evergreen tree with a thick bole and spreading roots, and it should therefore not be planted near buildings or drains." Also "the fruits are round, approximately 2-3 cm in diameter, but not good for eating."
Unfortunately Una says nothing about the seeds. Perhaps you can get information on this aspect from the web site of the South African National Botanical Institute? Also try PlantzAfrica.com . D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here