Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenkeeper_gw

Unknown plant from a red bean

gardenkeeper
17 years ago

I've planted a red bean that I got from somebody who was in South-Africa. The plant has thorns on the stem and even small thorns on the leaves.

For a picture see:

http://photos.gardenweb.com/garden/galleries/2006/08/unknown_plant_please_help_me.html

Comments (5)

• albertar
    17 years ago

I may be wrong, but it looks to be in the hibiscus family. Perhaps a red disco belle?
    Alberta

• gardenkeeper
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't think so, because I think Hibiscus doesn't give red beans and has so many sharp thorns on the stem and even the leafs. But thanks for your help!

• maddy_RSA
    17 years ago

Hi gardenkeeper,
    This is an Erythrina (Coral Tree) - which species I do not know. Some look very similar at this age.
    Where do you live?

• peters5001
    17 years ago

Hi from South Africa, the home of your coral tree.

It is one of two species which are very closely related and difficult to tell apart until they flower. Theory says that your tree is the Common Coral Tree Erythrina lysistemon, because of the thorns on the leaves. One of the listed differences between E. lysistemon and E. caffra, the Coastal Coral Tree is supposed to be the presence of thorns on the leaves. However, I have several specimens of both in my garden, and have found this not to be a reliable indicator.

So the chances are that it is E. lysistemon, with an outside chance of it being E. caffra. When they flower, probably in two or three years time, judging from the size of your plant, you will be able to ell immediately which one of the two it is.

Regards

Peter

• protea_king
    17 years ago

I have a young Erythrina (possibly a lysistemon) in my garden back in SA. I planted it about 4 years ago and its only this year flowered for the first time at a height of 2m. I was so excited, while back at home for May-September (our very short winter!), to find brown buds developing on the bare tree (in areas with cold winters they drop their leaves just before they start blooming). The buds just kept on swelling growing visibly larger almost by the day. The day before I left for the airport I could see the fully formed tube shape of the flowers and how bright scarlet they were, but alas they never opened in time for me to see them. Being the virgin bloom so to speak the flowers were rather scarce, but I'm still thoroughly dissapointed that I missed them! I've heard that they are one of the best trees for attracting colourful sunbirds to your garden in SA, because of the large amount of nectar each flower possesses. Hopefully I will be around to see it bloom next year.

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus