Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adaorand

Clivia minata Blooms.......In August??

adaorand
20 years ago

I have a Clivia minata blooming now. This is a plant that I got as a markdown in Lowe's in the spring, after its spring blooms had faded.

Now it has 2 blooms and several buds wedged between some of the older leaves, with no visible bloom stalk. Is this normal? Can I expect to see a real bloom stalk emerge from the center of the plant in the spring?

I admit this plant did take some abuse -- poor light, lack of water, unpotted by kitten....... I finally repotted it from a 6" to an 8" pot and set it out under an elm tree where it has been in filtered light and kept fairly moist. And contrary to my info that says established clivias resent root disturbance and need to be "pot bound" to flower, I was in total suprise to see these flowers.

Is this normal? Can I expect (hope for) a real flower stalk and more flowers for late winter/spring bloom? I appreciate any and all advice. I have never had Clivias before, and was very excited to have found them in Lowe's this past winter at a reasonable price -- even happier to get two at mark-down prices. The other plant has a seed pod and I understand it can take up to a year to ripen, then another 5 to 7 years for a seedling to reach bloom stage.

Comments (4)

Sponsored