Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zanzibar Gem.? Palm- like plant.

Posted by leafylea Australia. Quee (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 10, 05 at 21:16

Can anyone help. I am unable to find more information on this plant.I am told it is a palm. It is similar to a cardboard palm
[cycad, i believe]but is shiny and is clumping or has several seeds planted in one pot.I have also seen it listed under Anthirum, but this looks unlikely to me.I thought, if it is in fact native to Zanzibar that somebody there could help? Any ideas.? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zanzibar Gem.? Palm- like plant.

Hi,

I think it's probably a zamioculcas zamiifolia, apparently often sold as "zz plant". The one I recently bought was labeled "tropical other" with no additional info, but from what I,ve read, it's an aroid, likes medium light levels, warmish temps, and no "wet feet". Mine seems happy outside in dappled shade and since you reminded me, I think I'll go get it out of it's original pot and pot it up a bit.
Also, I did a google search and found images of both single and multiple-stemmed plants.

Cheers and happy gardening, Jeff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here