Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
leucadendron summer sun

Posted by weeddummie (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 4:54

Dear garden webbers,

I have a small "summer sun" leucadendron laureolum x stobilinum which I'd like to plant in my garden. It seems to grow up to 1.5m high and wide. I was wondering where is a better place to plant it - I have a couple of sunny spots for it. How far does its root system go? Is it ok to plant it a few feet away from a fruit tree? Or maybe it's better closer to the other native australian plants I have (that don't need regulary fertilising).

Does anyone know how fast it grows, and anything else I should know about this plant? I only have a protea so far and its structure looks quite similar...Can someone explain how proteas and leucadendrons are different, characteristic-wise? Lotsa thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: leucadendron summer sun

• Posted by SoCal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 10, 05 at 12:55

I would avoid planting near a fruit tree, like all Proteaceae it has far-ranging roots that will absorb fatal levels of phosphorous and they don't need a lot of nitrogen. Two nutrients fruit trees typically use in abundance.

Ryan

o

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I have a strawberry plant, a japanese maple and peach tree - and if I put the new proteaceae in the spot where I have two other native plants are, it will be 2-3 metres away from the fruits and non-natives (on the same bed), rather than 2-3 feet.

Is this far enough?

o

• Posted by SoCal23 USDA10/Sunset23 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 13, 05 at 23:01

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. AFAIK, the biggest problem is when the whole root zone is fertilized, I'm not sure if anyone has looked at the effects of roots growing into fertilized area.

Ryan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here