Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zzzz ... our forum is asleep .. anyone there? Planting anything ?

Posted by modjadje USDA 8A SW OR (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 26, 03 at 17:40

hi all, i keep coming here to see if anyone posted something new, and it keeps being so deserted and quiet! As i would like to breathe a bit of life into our forum, i'm starting this thread so we can all pitch in and talk about our current enthusiasms .

My A. belladonna and nerines are sulking this fall, gave me but two scapes out of about 30 large bulbs ... they were moved last year, and experienced a quite colder than accustomed winter in their new home here in S.W. Oregon.
The Phygelius capensis aka Cape Fuchsia has been dapperly blooming since July and is still going strong. I kept trimming back the branch ends with the dead blooms and the plant kept producing sideshoots with new blooms ... i guess it will only quit after the first killing frost, which usually happens in these parts by the last week in October.
This morning i was thrilled to see scapes on the Kniphofia starting to push up out of the foliage ... color is so welcome in the garden this time of year!

I acquired some Schizostylis bulbs this summer and look forward to seeing them bloom; even though i am a native S.African, i've never seen live Schizostylis in bloom.

That's all from me, i hope someone else will jump in and get the ball rolling here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zzzz ... our forum is asleep .. anyone there? Planting anythi

belladonna is renowned for sulking and taking an extended period to settle in to new digs---often a couple of years!!!schizostylis is lovely right now on the oregon coast---started blooming last month and should go thru november. it has a tendency to spread if the soil is semi-moist so we have to thin the bed out every few years or it takes over. red-hot pokers are in full bloom now (they slow down in the summer and then pick up in the fall). rapanea melanophloeos and cunonia capensis are growing well in pots as is dombeya rotundifolia---will attempt to plant them in-ground next spring.

o
RE: zzzz ... our forum is asleep .. anyone there? Planting anythi

• Posted by SAVeg South Africa (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 2, 03 at 2:01

Hi
With winter there by you guys I notice that all the forums, which I visit are a lot quieter than usual. I guess people are still trying to wean themselves from the summer gardening. It will undoubtedly pick up asgain as people start planning for next season.

SAVeg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here