Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vetivert8

Lachenalia dormancy

vetivert8
17 years ago

A couple of years ago I bought some Lachenalia bulbs at the end of the season. They were for the hybrid 'Rupert' - a mauve-blue.

The bulbs had shrunk to about the size of a (US) dime but put up leaves after planting and finished the season at an improved size, in a pot.

Last summer was wet, mostly, and fairly moderate for temperatures apart from a burst in mid-November when we got to the high 20s (C). 'Rupert' did not arrive above ground.

This year Rupert has plump bulbs (about an inch in diameter) with a few fine/almost glassy roots and no leaves at all. I repotted to put the bulbs so their tops were just below the surface. I've also parked them on the mantelpiece, watered sparingly, to provide a touch of warmth. I enquire regularly and the three bulbs give me that pallid stare and hunch down.

I know some Lachenalias can sit in dormancy for a year or several but, being a gardener, I'd like to persuade them to make it above ground for next spring.

So, I thought about putting them in the hot water cupboard and a note in the diary to get them out in good time for late summer and the rain. Or, into the cactus patch under the carport to truly 'bake' over whatever summer comes. (We have very even temperatures and rainfall, usually - across the year. Long spells of heat/dry have not been common.)

Mild, uniform heat and serious dry for a few months? Or heat spikes with a touch of moisture when I water the cacti? Which would be more likely to persuade those seasonal snoozers to try leafing up again?

Comments (9)

• wanda
    17 years ago

Lachenalia are winter bloomers for me. I have several species which I keep in pots. When they die back (late spring-early summer), I set them aside and give them no summer water. When I see new growth appearing, usually around Oct-Nov.), I bring them out and start watering.
    I also have a few spp. planted in the ground, but they are also in dry areas that get no supplemental water in the summer (our dry season).

wanda

• vetivert8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks wanda. I suspected as much. Three weeks without rain is a drought, for me! I shall have to be Ruthless!

Banish to a warm dry place and treat them like Cyclamen.

Do you repot annually?

• wanda
    17 years ago

At the risk of sounding like a bad plant mommy.....No, I don't repot annually. Not for any good reason, just cause I keep meaning to "put them somewhere" and don't get around to it, or don't know where I want to put them. I have some that are still in a 4" pot after several years. I NEED to plant them this year, but they already have foliage up so they'll have to wait until dormancy before repotting. Hope I remember this year.....LOL

The good part about my lazy attitude is that you can be certain that these are tough bulbs that tolerate tons of neglect. LOL

wanda

• protea_king
    17 years ago

Lachenalias flower in the winter, because most species are distributed throughout the Western Cape of South Africa which lies predominantly in a winter rainfall area. Here are some Lachenalias I photographed behind the scenes at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens in Cape Town. A friend of mine is in charge of the bulb collections so he did me a favour and let me snap away to my hearts delight. I love South African plants! Enjoy

• bahia
    17 years ago

In your New Jersey climate you will probably have to grow these indoors as a cool greenhouse/sunporch plant. Start watering in late October/early November and treat as a normal potted plant with very bright light and cool but not freezing temps. Once they bloom in late winter/early spring, they must be allowed to go completely dry, no water again until October. Most all species will rot out if kept too wet in the dormant season of late spring until early fall.

• vetivert8
    Original Author
    17 years ago

protea king - I'm fascinated. What's the mix in your pots? That topping grit looks interesting. Quite sharp and also fine?

I also notice you use plain terra cotta for potting up which would certainly improve wicking of water.

Like wanda - the common 'soldier boys' and L bulbifera do grow outside, but I get a lot of rain most months of the year and the bulbs don't get the dry 'baking' they need for success. All part of living down south here in the Roaring Forties!!

• wanda
    17 years ago

ProteaKing, lovely collection!
    What is the name of the first Lachenalia?

Surprisingly, all of mine survived our unusual freeze in Jan. without cover or protection. I now have buds on several species and my favorite, L. mutabilis is starting to bloom.

• vha7777
    17 years ago

Hello all, beautiful pictures by the way! So here is my question, last spring I started some lachenalia aloides from seed and I got quite a few of them going. During the first year I tried not letting them go into their dormant state (it was kinda tricky with the heat in the south) so they can could form a decent size bulb before they go into their first dormancy period. Right now they are doing well but I was wondering if I should try to not let them go dormant this year or should I just let them? The bulbs are still tiny so I'm worried that they might not make it through a rest period. Should I report them too? Thanks

• mfyss
    17 years ago

I just assumed that whatever had been planted must have died, but in dumping the pot found the wee bulbs. After a few months, Lachenalia aloides is blooming inside in frozen mid west USA. Drimiopsis maculata and Clivia both blooming now, as well.

Sponsored