Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sickly agapanthus

Posted by kelpmermaid 10S24 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 22, 09 at 20:42

Late this spring, I bought and planted two agapanthus (plural?) of the same variety along my driveway. One of them looks fine: dark green strappy leaves. The other, however, is looking a bit sad. Its leaves are paler, shorter, and some of them have turned black along the tips and then die off. I should have taken a picture to post; I'll try to do that when I get a chance.

Does anyone know what could be wrong with my agapanthus? I've looked around online, but it sounds as if they are almost bulletproof, so I don't understand. The underperformer is getting more sun than its friend. I don't know what to think. Should I just replace it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sickly agapanthus

I have lots of Agapanthus and have never had any bug problem. Have you checked the undersides of the leaves for any type of tiny eggs or bugs? Do you know what was planted in that space prior to planted your Agapanthus?

o

Hi, basillady. There was a tall cactus of some kind there; it was planted by the previous owner. It suffered some odd damage (skateboarders?!) so I removed it.

BTW, I did crosspost on this in the California forum, and have provided a link to pix, if you would be kind enough to take a look.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 1:49

Those pictures are here
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh199/kelpmermaid/agapanthus/

Here is a link that might be useful: OP's pictures

o

Thanks, jean!

o

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 30, 09 at 0:10

The black tips look like frost damage. Is that possible? As far as I can remember this is not a frost-hardy plant.

I've never seen black tips here--they turn a light brown due to heat and drought here, or they get sunburnt when they get too much sun and heat. Every yard in the neighborhood has them (except mine).

o

Well, I know it's not frost-- I'm in coastal Socal. I see the brown tips around, but nothing like this. On the CA gardening forum, it was suggested that I should dig them up, divide them, let them sit for a while, then replant after replacing some of the soil. It can't hurt to try I suppose.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here