Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threejen

Overwintering Agapanthus Africanus

threejen
20 years ago

I believe this is a South African native, so I hope this is the right forum.

This plant is not quite hardy where I live, so I have been bringing it inside in the winter and putting it outside in the late spring when frosts are over. So far my results are not good.

The only time it has flowered for me (in three years) was the year when it flowered prematurely in the early spring before i had put it outside. Of course we did get to enjoy the glorious golden seedheads during the summer, but it would be lovely to see it bloom outside.

Today I can see that the plant (which has not flowered at all this year) was eaten right back to the pot by deer. I now have a lovely view of the tubers. This has not happened before but I'm trying to look on it as an opportunity for change.

I've read that this plant likes to be pot-bound. I've only potted on once, and I think that was the year it flowered. Should I divide up the root system into the 5 or 6 plants that appear to be there?

Should I overwinter it potted in soil (as I have done thus far), or as a bare root?

Any and all tips and suggestions on the above, plus fertilizing, watering etc, would be most welcome. So far this plant has not been worth the bother of maintaining it so I really need help!

Thanks,

Jen

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations