Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering Agapanthus Africanus

Posted by threejen Z6 NY (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 8, 03 at 21:25

I believe this is a South African native, so I hope this is the right forum.

This plant is not quite hardy where I live, so I have been bringing it inside in the winter and putting it outside in the late spring when frosts are over. So far my results are not good.

The only time it has flowered for me (in three years) was the year when it flowered prematurely in the early spring before i had put it outside. Of course we did get to enjoy the glorious golden seedheads during the summer, but it would be lovely to see it bloom outside.

Today I can see that the plant (which has not flowered at all this year) was eaten right back to the pot by deer. I now have a lovely view of the tubers. This has not happened before but I'm trying to look on it as an opportunity for change.

I've read that this plant likes to be pot-bound. I've only potted on once, and I think that was the year it flowered. Should I divide up the root system into the 5 or 6 plants that appear to be there?

Should I overwinter it potted in soil (as I have done thus far), or as a bare root?

Any and all tips and suggestions on the above, plus fertilizing, watering etc, would be most welcome. So far this plant has not been worth the bother of maintaining it so I really need help!

Thanks,

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering Agapanthus Africanus

• Posted by SAVeg South Africa (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 9, 03 at 1:11

Hi,
Our Agapanthus are planted outside here, and they get the miinimum attention. We get frost where temeratures fall to about 6C, but this does not happen every day of winter though. The plants only get compost as fertilizer, and they get watered whenever they seem to be slightly stressed.
I would still overwinter it in the pot if I where you, don't just overwinter the bulbs. Maybe cutting back a little on the water given to the plants will stimulate them to flower.
Why don't you pot them in a nice looking pot and treat them as potplants, keeping them indoors permanently.
SAVeg

o
RE: Overwintering Agapanthus Africanus

SAVeg, does it really only get to 6 degrees Celcius when you have frost? meaning that it never freezes?
Last winter was our first in this southwestern Oregon location. we live at 1500 ft elevation on the north slope of a 2500 ft mountain, and temps dropped to 14 degrees Fahrenheit (that's wayyy below freezing) for a solid week on our deck where my agapanthus spent the winter in 5-gallon containers. They overwintered well and bloomed profusely all of July and August, but i bet that it would have killed them if that cold spell lasted another few weeks. My plants have been in the containers a bit more than two years now, and are rather potbound but apparently happy.
All i know about New york's weather is that it gets much colder than here ... perhaps a good idea to post your question on the forum frequented by other New Yorkers, and ask if any of them has success with agapanthus. A. africanus is not regarded as a very cold tolerant plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here