Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planterric

How can I save clivias with crown rot?

PlanterRic
18 years ago

I have some new Chinese clivias and have already lost some to crown rot. The ones that died eartly were young and had few or the roots had dried out in transit. Now, some of the older ones have just lost their newest leaf from rot at the base of the leaf. This has been the first sign of the onset of the crown rot that killed the others. The rest of the plant looks healthy. Is there a way to save these?

Comments (7)

• vincentj
    18 years ago

I have a Clivia which did not flower in the season just past.

From what I now read, this probably was because it is somewhat overpotted.

I am wondering if now I should just be patient and let it fill up the pot in coming seasons, or would it be preferable to place it in a smaller pot.

(I think that if I adopted the latter course I would gain two or three new plants because at least it is growing, even if it is not flowering!)

• PlanterRic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Marc, thanks for the input. I've heard of such solutions for bulbs, but clivias are not bulbs. They have firm tuberous roots that do not like to be disturbed and make them very hard to repot with the roots evenly spaced.

Clivias grow very slowly, taking several months to produce one leaf, and perfect leaves are the goal in growing well formed and symetrical Chinese clivias. A two-year-old plant may have only six or seven leaves. I would be worried that some of these solutions would damage the leaves.

• MarcR
    18 years ago

I know that most members of Amarulidaceae don't like to be disturbed, and the treatment I suggested will cause the loss of 1-3 years bloom. Failure to arrest the crown rot will cause permanent loss of bloom. You decide which is worse.

• PlanterRic
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good point.

• elle27
    12 years ago

I have been battling crown rot too on my clivia for the last couple of months, treated it with a spray fungicide. Decided today that I would pull the leaves that gave, off to see how bad the rot was. It was rotted just in the center but a little down so I pulled out my sharpest sterile knife and cut just below the rot about 2 inches up from the base. It now is flat and looks like I cut a radish. What now? Is there any hope? If so will it turn into multiple clivias on the base or is there any way for it to grow back as one? I received this plant from my husband 8 years ago as a wedding gift and would be devastated if it doesn't pull through. Help!

• Mary Jansma
    3 years ago

I’ve been battling crown rot for a month on my first Clivia ever which is nearly 50 years old. Sadly, today I decided it was hopeless and decided to dispose of it. I did first rescue the one pup from the pot and repotted it. I moved all my plants from Washington State to Florida this year. I never had any problems in Washington with any pests or diseases. I think growing them in Florida will present problems. I was so looking forward to this Clivia blooming this year and realized it was just starting to send up a stalk. Well, better to protect the rest. I hope you have better luck.

Sponsored