Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_virginian

cold hardy sa plants

the_virginian
18 years ago

Are there any SA plants that are hardy to USDA Zone 7 besides Cannas that I could try in my garden?

Comments (10)

• bluebonsai101
    18 years ago

Surely some Eucomis are hardy where you are (some are hardy here) and of course some Crinum :o) Dan

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    18 years ago

I can't say with certainty that there isn't a species of Canna somehwere in Africa, but they are mostly native to the Americas and Asia. True, some hybrids have been bred there.

bluebonsai is correct, most species of Eucomis will be hardy if correctly sited in a sunny, well drained spot

just off the top of my head, a list of ZA natives that have survived at least 1 cold winter for me...but maybe not the coldest we could have in Northern Virginia

hardy varieties of Agapanthus
    some hardy glads - G. tristis, G. saundersii, G. papilio (warning, the last is weedy)
    Crinum bulbispermum hybrids of course
    Melianthus comosus (M. villosus should be hardier and is a better plant but died a couple winters ago, probably because the idiotic former owners of my yard had pumped the soil full of nitrogen, which kept most plants in soft growth all the time. The situation is just now improving)
    Watsonia latifolia
    Watsonia aletroides
    Pelargonium sidoides
    Pelargonium transvaalense - both need very careful siting. It was an uncharacteristically dry, although not mild winter, and that probably helped.
    Aloe ecklonis is by far the hardiest, but kind of boring
    Cotyledon orbiculata barely made it, it is probably really zn 8 hardy and even then should have a rain shield
    too many kniphofias to list
    Cephalaria galpinii
    Geum capensis - neat plant, wierd velvety foliage, Ellen Hornig had them for a while

-David

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Check out the listings at Silverhill Seeds. Some of their listings show Zone 7, or even Zone 6 hardiness.

• timct
    18 years ago

Here in Connecticut (zone 6) I have a few Kniphofia hybrids which grow well, especially in well drained, protected spots.

Best,
    Tim

• MarcR
    18 years ago

Silverhill Seeds in South Africa lists hardiness of all plants in both their printed and online catalogs. They are very reputable and reasonably priced.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silverhill seeds

• veldblom
    18 years ago

There are many hardy and potentially hardy SA plants that could be grown in northern Virginia. In addition to those already mentioned, Albuca shawii, Artemesia afra, Phygelius hybrids/species, Berkheya purpurea, some Crocosmia spp or cvs,some iceplants like Delosperma sp Basutoland (yellow flowered sp formerly sold as congestum) and D. cooperi, the variegated leaf form of Tulbaghia violacea, and Nerine bowdenii are some I have had success with in the suburbs of NYC. You might also consider, in full sun with leaf mulch for winter protection, Pelargonium luridum, mimimum, reniforme, ionidiflorum, some forms of alchemilloides, and dichondrifolium. Luridum will definitely survive if the ground does not freeze too deeply and come up again in late spring. Many SA plants can behave as resowing annuals, among them in my small garden is a Nemesia species with small white or pale pink flowers (a similar thing is often sold in baskets in garden centers), Senecio inaequidens (a floriferous daisy with lots of small yellow flowers in fall which I collected in SA), and Commelina africana (a yellow flowered dayflower). This year I am hoping to see if Leucosidea sericea is hardy, one is outside and one moved inside after it froze in the pot during a night in the low 20's. It was not damaged, still has good leaves.
    Galtonia candicans is reliable and blooms every year. If winters are mild, other things may survive--in the Bronx in a sheltered position with leaf protection I had a seedling of Protea subvestita make it through an el nino winter. Planting certain things like iceplants and some bulbs in a sandbed is helpful for things that dont like soggy soil in winter, and a mulch is usually appreciated. Eucomis bicolor is another rather amazingly hardy plant,but it only wakes up when the weather is really warm, so dont expect to see it before June.
    Good luck!
    Ernie

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    18 years ago

Ernie - nice to meet a fellow East Coast SA plant enthusiast.

I forget to mention I had grown Artemsia afra, Phygelius, several Berkheyas, and a Nerina bowdenii cultivar, which has survived a couple winters but has not bloomed yet.

I should also report that Brunsvigia grandiflora is winter growing here, but is proving to be VERY hardy. Certainly more so that Amaryllis belladonna or any other winter growing geophyte I can think of.

I'm envious of your Pelargonium collection. Rachel seldom lists P. luridum and I think the one time I did manage to order it, it didn't germinate. My P. alchemilloides sadly died in the middle of summer, I'm not sure if the problem was too much water or not enough (or something else). Also in the suddenly croaking in the middle of summer category: Myosotis afropalustris and Wahlenbergia undulata.

I'm MOST impressed that you mention getting a protea to survive for any length of time. Most of the true alpines (like P. subvestita) drop dead for me on the first hot and humid day. Mind you this is even if that are kept shaded and correctly watered. The only one that was showing promising resistence to our summer weather was Protea caffra but then its pot was attacked by small animal! Could you tell me what the potting mix or soil was?

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

Oboy! Oboy! Oboy! Since I live in an alpine desert environment, I now have huge hopes of getting at least Protea subvestita and Protea caffra to grow here. I can always do supplemental watering if required (and it probably will be). Like I need another group of plants to experiment with? I never claimed to be very focused in my garden interests...

Lisa

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

In my overarching enthusiasm I stumbled on to Fine Bush People. I don't know about their reliability, but I placed a small order. I figure it's worth about $11 to hope. I ordered Protea subvestita seeds, two other varieties and some Leucospermum and Cotyledon seed. This should be huge fun.

• ljrmiller
    18 years ago

It took a little less than two weeks to get my seeds from Fine Bush People. They sent really detailed instructions for successful germination, too. I am sooooo excited!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz