Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloes From Seed

Posted by Conroe_Joe 8b (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 03 at 19:37

Hi,

I ordered some zone 8- and zone 9-hardy Aloe species this fall. Most have come up (winter and summer types) with 70 F nights and 82-84 F days. Ill keep them under fluorescent lights for the winter, but in a bright window. If the winter growing-types get large enough I might put them outside for sunny days in January and February.

The all seem to be doing well in a mix that is about 40% compost, 25% perlite, 35% coarse sand. I put them on the surface of the compost, and watered them in and then put about 1/8 inch of sand over the seeds. If the sand washed down into the soil mix I put another 1/8 inch. I placed them in a plastic container with clear plastic over the top, and misted them every few days with Consan Triple Action 20 (1 ounce per gallon of water). I placed the seed pots so that the soil surface is 8-10 inches below four 40 Watt bulbs (4 foot long bulbs). The first seeds were up in 10-12 days; two hybrids are just coming up now after about 3 weeks, a few more types have not germinated.

Overall, I have tried about 4 dozen species and hybrids this year. I purchased seed from Silverhill Seeds (http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/) and from a another source in South Africa (http://storm.prohosting.com/farm4u/index.htm).

The latter place was interesting to me because of the low prices featured. Seeds cost anywhere from 50 cents to a dollar (US) for packets. The packets are generous, they all arrive with 50 or more seeds per packet (some had 70 or more). So far, the germination rate for this new seed source has been very good. I planted 15-20 seeds of each type, and over 70% of the varieties have produced seedlings. I suppose the others might germinate this week or next, or perhaps Ill have to try the nonresponders again.

I measure the germination success in terms of "percent of species that germinate", as opposed to "percent of germination per species." Thus, if Aloe ferox gives only 2 seedlings (out of 15 planted), I count that as a success. Ive sort of developed this way of measuring over the years. The best success Ive ever had is with Mesa Garden seeds (www.mesagarden.com), but even there I would say the overall success rate is about 75-80%. Succulents just come with their own set of rules about germination, sometimes I get it right and other times a species just will not germinate.

So, if you like Aloes, and want a choice that is different from Silverhill Seeds or Mesa Garden, do try this new source. The Web site features a good FAQ, has wonderful habitat photos of Aloe species, and I found the owner very responsive. She sent the seeds via registered mail so that they could be tracked. Additionally, she was happy to provide advice and make suggestions when I asked for help.

Im looking forward to trying these new plants outdoors in a couple of years. I tried to choose plants that might survive our occasional frosts, but I suppose some will not be happy with Texas humidity.

Cordially,

Here is a link that might be useful: FROM SEEDS TO ALOES FOR THE GARDEN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloes From Seed

Hi,

This is the follow up. The seeds are all germinated that are going to germinate (I guess). They have mostly done well. Some of them sulked a while and turned very brown, or brown-red. An email hint (on the Yahoo Aloe List) mentined that some Aloe seedlings can turn brown when they want a little nitrogen. So, I added some dilute Miracle Gro (30-10-10)and that has helped. They are getting greener. I used the WalMart generic equivalent of Miracle Gro, it is just fine.

I'll post photos when I figure out how to work a new camera. They like the lights, they like my house temperatures and they seem destined to grow all winter under the lights, right by a window (no direct sun).

I used the most inexpensive fluorescent bulbs I could find (less than a dollar each), and same for the 4-foot fixtures (about $7 each). I'm sure better fixtures and bulbs could help them grow even better, but they are doing fine as it is. I don't worry about the spectrum of light because they are too small to flower and they get a bit of natural light from the window. They get about 15 hours per day, winter grownging species and summer growing species. Some other succulents are with them and also doing well, agaves, crassulas, yuccas and a few species of Malephora. When the danger of frost is passed, I'll put them outside (March).

The new seed supplier has been helpful if I wrote her a question and I think I'll order from her again if I try more aloes. For now, I've got more than enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: FROM SEEDS TO ALOES FOR THE GARDEN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here