Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conroe_joe

Nerine sarniensis

conroe_joe
20 years ago

Hi,

I obtained some bulbs of Nerine sarniensis (Guernsey Lily) last spring in a trade with a regular contributor of the South African forum. She sent a lot of bulbs in exchange for some plants of mine.

I potted them up in fast-draining soil that is about 40% compost, 30% perlite, and 30% coarse sand, placing the bulbs high. The are fairly crowded in their pot, about 7 bulbs in a 10 inch pot. I watered them once or twice when I got them but let them go dry as hot weather was soon upon this part of Texas. When they seemed quite dry, and the tops had died down, I put them indoors where the humidity is low (compared to outdoors). Their summer temperature was 70-85, and they sat high on a shelf in the laundry room.

Night temperatures have dropped to the low 60s (F), and IÂm quite eager to bring the plants into growth. I took them down this week, they are still firm and happy-seeming, I gave them a good watering and set them in a sunny location. I hope to keep them outdoors all winter, on a sunny porch. Temperatures can sometimes drop to 20-25 F overnight, but I suspect theyÂll tolerate a bit of cold while sitting next to the house foundation.

How much water do they need, especially in pots? Do they want fertilizer now, what type of fertilizer do they require? Is there anything special to consider because they were moved last spring?

Cordially,

Here is a link that might be useful: Nerine sarniensis

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm