Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More Aloes, Just What I Need

Posted by Conroe_Joe 9a (conroejoe@aol.com) on
Mon, Oct 18, 04 at 21:34

Hi Gang,

I guess I'm addicted to trying out South African succulents that are borderline for this climate (sometimes a bit too cold, and way too wet).

I ordered about 35 new Aloe species seeds this year from 4 vendors.
1. Silverhill Seeds (http://www.silverhillseeds.co.za/)
2. Eurica's Aloes, from seeds to the garden (GardenWeb Forum does not allow listing of this Web address due to anti-WebSpam policies)
3. Mesa Garden (www.mesagarden.com)
4. Penrock Seeds (http://www.penroc.co.za/pages/newslet1103.htm).

There is no doubt about it, I like Aloe. Silverhill and Eurica get my votes for best Aloe seeds and info, with Mesa Garden nearly as good. Mesa Garden gets my vote for widest selection of succlents in general, with best provenance information.

Penrock Seeds is a special case. For sure they are the most expensive (by far), but they do offer Aloe seeds that I have not found anywhere else (including certain grass aloes). They are difficult to deal with if you don't want to send funds via the Post Office, or if you balk at intercontinental bank drafts ($35 to $50 USA). They don't take credit cards, and unlike the other 3 vendors Penrock does not accept PayPal payments.

All the seed, from all the vendors, has germinated well. As usual, there are some misses, but such is the way of seeds.

Cordially,

Conroe Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More Aloes, Just What I Need

Dear CJ,

I know that I am one of the heathen, and I really should convert, but I've not yet intentionally grown anything from seed.

Notwithstanding that character defect, are there particular aloes that you're looking for that you would accept as plants? I'm thinking trade here...

Back cordially at you,

El Jeffe de Aloes

o
RE: More Aloes, Just What I Need

Hey El Jeffe,

Thanks for your note. You make me smile because you point out the obvious; growing aloes and growing aloes from seed are 2 very different hobbies. A person can be involved in one and not the other.

Seeds can be a real pain because they take some care and patience, but they are an inexpensive way to increase diversity; there is no way I'm willing to plunk down $5 or $10 (or more) to buy some plants. Seeds range from about 2 cents each (Eurica) to $1 or $2 each (Penrock). I start seeds each winter; this helps with the "patience" part because I have plants of all ages coming along at any given time.

I do have a list of things I am looking for and I'll send it to you. I really haven't made up a list of things I have to trade but perhaps I should.

Cordially,

Conroe Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here