Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geissorhiza and Moraea - germination

Posted by kirsitn (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 9, 04 at 7:29

Hi!
I have recently sown Geissorhiza radians and Moraea villosa, but so far no sign of germination. Does anyone know how long time they usually take to germinate, and do they need any kind of special treatment? Wet or just moist soil? Or sand? Temperature? Light or darkness?
At the moment they're in moist soil at a temperature of 18-22 degrees Celsius.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geissorhiza and Moraea - germination

• Posted by cjhin Gauteng ZA (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 9, 04 at 9:08

Should take about 4-8 weeks to germinate. Soil must be moist not wet. Keep trays in shaded cool area. No special treatment is required.

o
RE: Geissorhiza and Moraea - germination

• Posted by DeeDs1 the far SWUK-9 (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 14, 04 at 19:55

I find they germinate quite easily too, but it all depends on if they are summer ot winter growing species, they tend to start into growth at the same time as the parent plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here