Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yuyu_gw

Madagascar Palm help

Yuyu
18 years ago

Hi,

I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors, but it is reaching the ceiling of our house very quickly. It is now about 1.5 meters in length, including the leaves. How do you trim it to a much shorter length, say 1 meter, while improving its chances of survival afterwards?

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• jeffrey_harris
    18 years ago

Dear Yuyu,

If you do a search using 'Madagascar Palm' in the Cactus and Succulent Forum I think your question will be answered.

If not, let me know.

BTW, you'd best prune your Pachypodium lamerei (the scientific nmae for your MP) in the spring - it's going into dormancy now.

• Stevi_K
    18 years ago

Yuyu Hi,

I cut the top of mine off, it was almost 5 foot when I removed about 2 feet of it. It is now branching out.

Stevi K

• baci
    18 years ago

Madagasscar palm is kind of a confusing name, although that is the one often given for Pachypodium lamerei. They are not fast growers. You need to make sure that is what you have, as there are several palms native to Madagascar, and some you would not cut off.

• robertajean
    10 years ago

I have a Madagascar Palm that I received for birthday last year and it outgrew my window pane, so I sat it outdoors next to my patio and it is doing wonderful. It has grow from 3 inches to 23 inches and is getting fat. It now also has two small branches or succulents growing out at angles from the base. My question is can I cut off those little branches at the base and transplant them to there own pot.???
    Please reply;

• tarwil
    9 years ago

Stevi k- how long after you cut the top off your Madagascar palm did it take before the bottom half sprouted new growth?

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations