Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Madagascar Palm help

Posted by Yuyu (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 13:20

Hi,

I have a Madagascar palm that grows well indoors, but it is reaching the ceiling of our house very quickly. It is now about 1.5 meters in length, including the leaves. How do you trim it to a much shorter length, say 1 meter, while improving its chances of survival afterwards?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Madagascar Palm help

Dear Yuyu,

If you do a search using 'Madagascar Palm' in the Cactus and Succulent Forum I think your question will be answered.

If not, let me know.

BTW, you'd best prune your Pachypodium lamerei (the scientific nmae for your MP) in the spring - it's going into dormancy now.

o

Yuyu Hi,

I cut the top of mine off, it was almost 5 foot when I removed about 2 feet of it. It is now branching out.

Stevi K

o

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 24, 06 at 9:21

Madagasscar palm is kind of a confusing name, although that is the one often given for Pachypodium lamerei. They are not fast growers. You need to make sure that is what you have, as there are several palms native to Madagascar, and some you would not cut off.

o

I have a Madagascar Palm that I received for birthday last year and it outgrew my window pane, so I sat it outdoors next to my patio and it is doing wonderful. It has grow from 3 inches to 23 inches and is getting fat. It now also has two small branches or succulents growing out at angles from the base. My question is can I cut off those little branches at the base and transplant them to there own pot.???
Please reply;

o

Stevi k- how long after you cut the top off your Madagascar palm did it take before the bottom half sprouted new growth?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here