Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crinum moorei

Posted by JimmB Michigan US (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 15, 03 at 13:24

Perhaps some of you crinum lovers can help me. I obtained a crinum moorei bulb from SA and planted it in a 1:1:1 mix of sifted compost, river sand and industrial sand (in a pot, I should say). It shot up to nearly two feet (about 60 cm), then started drooping. Now the scapes/leaves are fornlornly and limply hanging down.

Too much water? not enough? need more sun? Any advice will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crinum moorei

• Posted by Mikey SoCA-Z10-22/23 (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 17, 03 at 22:23

I just purchased the one pictured below last spring. It was nearly bursting out of the pot due to its large root system. I was able to plant it directly into the ground here. I have two thoughts, it's roots need more room, and/or it is simpley resting in preparation for next spring.

o
RE: crinum moorei

Hi,

I can't say what is going on with the leaf-dropping C. moorei. However, they are known to go dormant, especially in later summer. Maybe your plant is off by 2 or 3 months. Also, they like some shade in this part of the world. I'm not sure about Michigan, your sun is not so scorching as here.

My soil mix is bascially the opposite of yours, 3 parts humus (or potting mix of almost any type) and 1 part coarse sand--so it will hold water better. Is it possible your plant suffered for water at one time or another, maybe it got a little too dry for a week or two? To the best of my knowledge C. moorei can go dormant if it does not have enough water.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here