Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clivia seed rotting?

Posted by Cath_MD z7MD (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 04 at 14:47

I have 2 Clivia miniata seeds ripening; one is just turning orange and remains firm, but the other one has been orange for a while and now is soft and mushy. Is the second one dead/rotten? I was reluctant to pluck it because I didn't know when it would be fully mature. Perhaps I left it on for too long? Please help! Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clivia seed rotting?

like many other fleshy fruits (from apples to oranges) the colored outer coating conceals the real seed in a pulpy covering----remove the coating, find the real seeds and plant them.

o
RE: Clivia seed rotting?

• Posted by baci z10Ca (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 21, 06 at 6:19

I know this is an old post, but I have seen fruits as you describe & they have no seeds in them. Berries that are small in comparison to others on the same plant with shriveling coats sometimes have no seed.

The seeds need to be on the plant a long time to mature 6-12 months. Here are some tips:

http://www.clivianet.org/JimShieldsSeeds.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here