Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
phygelius

Posted by brugpuppy z6a BC (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 03 at 15:34

I should have put this as a seperate post, so that future reference is easier.

I have received 4 cuttings of phygelius, (Cape fuschia) 2 red and 2 yellow. I have them in water, and I intend to dip them in hormone powder today and plant them as I do hardwood cuttings. Anyone know if this is suitable, or should I leave them in water to root?

Does anyone have any experiences they can share on growing these plants in zone 6 North America? Are they normally greenhouse grown and could I grow them in pots to move them into the garden for the summers?

Thanks!

Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: phygelius

They are easy in the garden in full sun and ordinary garden soil. They are just winter hardy here for me in zone 7, suburban Wash. DC. However, they might winter for you as perennials in zone 6 with sufficient mulch.

o

Try overwintering those cuttings indoors the first year. Plant them out next spring to give them a chance to develop good wood and stolons. They spread via the stolons. Mulch well next fall to keep the ground from freezing. Don't cut the stems back until new growth appears in spring.

The first season I grew these I had 3 cultivars. That winter we had a sudden cold snap and the morning temperature was 6F. All but one of the cultivars survived. It was Phygelius 'Salmon Leap'. I still have that plant 5 yrs later.

These root very easily in moist potting mix.

These are great humminbird plants.

SG

o

Hi!
Thanks for the help!

I got impatient with waiting for the cuttings to root and took a peak and found that the ends were rotting. I cut off the ends and dipped the cuttings into a liquid rooting hormone and replanted them. They have since looked a lot healthier and have shoots growing now, although they are a bit thin and pale. I have moved them to a south window and I hope that will help.

I am looking forward to seeing these grow. I'll put some in the greenhouse and try overwintering one at a time.

Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here