Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Othonna capensis - African Ice Plant - little pickles

Posted by brugpuppy z6a BC (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 03 at 18:46

For those in North America and especially Canada, I would like to share with you a great little succulent plant. I have been growing 'little pickles' for a number of years, and each year I grow couple of leaf cuttings to trade at our local seed and plant swap. They are always a big favourite and go like hot cakes!

The plant is excellent in a rock garden, in hanging baskets, and as a ground cover. The flowers are yellow and the leaves light green but they turn red in winter. They form a tight mat and look great hanging over a wall. I am surpised to find that they are classed as a zone 9 plant, when they thrive outdoors here at zone 6. I have never given the zoning a second thought, but since learning that they might 'vrek' in the cold weather, I have moved some into the greenhouse - just in case!

I have lots of these plants and they grow very easily from cuttings, so I will offer them for a SASE to Canada only. Or trade if you prefer.

I have also purchased this plant at walmart, but the label says pink flowering. The plant is not as tightly matted as the yellow,but looks very similar and it has yet to flower, so I am looking forward to seeing the pinks.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful: African Ice Plant - othonna capensis

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Othonna capensis - African Ice Plant - little pickles

Dear Chris,

It's interesting that this Othonna has the common name African Ice Plant, a moniker that's usually reserved for Carpobrutus edulis and the Lampranthus species, both members of the Mesembryanthemum, whereas Othonnas (I think) are in the Compositaceae, the Daisy Family.

My knowledge of Othonnas was limited to the deciduous succulent shrubby plants that are often grown for their caudiciform shape. Now you present one that's more in common with aground cover, and doesn't appear deciduous and most certainly doesn't exhibit any behaviour that any self-respecting caudex-growing plant would adopt!

Lord, grant me 40 acres and a mule, in San Diego, so I can grow all the plants I'd like to, and share them with my succulent pals.

o
RE: Othonna capensis - African Ice Plant - little pickles

LOL

No, this is not a deciduous plant but it is a ground cover. A lovely little succulent, happy just about anywhere it is located and non invasive. In this climate anyway!

I would love to trade, but not only am I limited to zone 6, but limited to Canada. I wish for warm sunny skies and golden beaches....

Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here