Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mikeyfromgw

Plant Care for Leucospermum Tango

Mikey
19 years ago

Any suggestions for care of this plant? I purchased it last spring. I've managed to kill off one or two Proteas in the past and I really would like this plant to survive. I have it planted in sandy soil with noon through afternoon sun. I understand it doesn't like fertilizer or getting its leaves wet. Most of the leaves are a light green in color with some of the lower leaves more of a greenish-yellow, more on the green side, with some browning on the tips. I don't know if that is normal for this plant at this time of the year. Other than an occassional watering, it's been receiving a healthy dose of benign neglect and that seems to be working so far.

Comments (5)

• BuddingBotanist
    19 years ago

As I'm sure you're aware Leucospermums can be very temperamental plants like most members of the proteaceae family. You've done well to plant it in a sandy soil (good drainage is essential) and they don't like fertilisers (its the phosphorous that they really can't stand). They like a soil pH in the region of 5-7. As for the position/aspect, fullsun is normally desirable, but they will get by with less light as long as its a warm southfacing position. Keep your hose away from it in the summer (they originate from the winter rainfall areas of South Africa). Try to keep pruning to a minimum as dieback is often a common result. I hope you get rewarded with many seasons worth of blooms, Good Luck!

• bahia
    19 years ago

In LA it will appreciate periodic summer irrigation as long as drainage is good, but they are prone to phytopthera attack, so it is best to mulch to keep the soil cooler, and only water at night/early morning when soil temps are cooler. I's sugggest using an organic amendment such as cottonseed meal or alfalfa to help acidify the soil and provide essential nitrogen. You'll probably find it easier to grow proteas if you have more coastal influence and don't get too hot in the summer. I've had good luck with 'Tango' in a large glazed container for several years now in a cooler Sunset zone 16/17 microclimate, where it is already budding up to bloom. It generally blooms about 4 to 5 months for me under our local conditions, and has been a relatively easy Leucospermum to grow. Even easier to grow is Protea "Pink Ice', which doesn't require sandy and/or acidic soils to survive, and will also tolerate quite abit more summer heat and winter frost and still thrive.

• chuck1260
    18 years ago

I have about 20 of the leucospermums, leucodendrons and proteas, some planted in pots and some in the ground. I live in a heavily ocean influenced climate. All of them are doing quite well, though the couple of the proteas get a sooty mold. They are old enough now to produce a great crop of flowers that last for weeks in the house. I water them the same as the rest of the plants, a couple times a week. But I live on a steep hillside with rocky soil so most of the water drains off. Some of them need ocassional doses of iron. But do not use Ironite as they have changed the formula to add the bad stuff. I did it to some pots and had to leach like crazy in order to save them. It took almost a year for them to recover. I have ordered seed for as many as I could find and am looking forward to growing my own. But Jo from Australian Native Plants has a great selection and it is worth going for a visit. You will fill up you pickup.

• slave2thefur
    18 years ago

I have Tango growing in my front yard, which was completely overhauled last year from grass into drought tolerant landscaping. It's one of 10 proteas, leucodendroms and leucospermums that I've crammed in, and is in full bloom already. This section of the garden was heavily tilled to add drainage, and has no compost or fertilizers added. Protea Brenda also bloomed after one year. If you live in the SD area, one of the merchants at the Vista farmers market on Saturday sells several Leucospermums, including Tango.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

• Mikey
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I enjoyed looking at your photos. The photo of Tango was very impressive. I'd be happy for just one flower..... It's grown quite a bit over the fall/winter so maybe this will be the year....

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County