Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Hybrid Plectranthus 'Cape Angels'

Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 31, 03 at 15:54

There is a new hybrid Plectranthus making the rounds of the indoor plant sellers lately, and I was wondering if any of the South Africans are growing it or might have more information about the species involved in the cross. It may be going by the cultivar name 'Mona Lavender' in Europe and South Africa, and was apparently part of the work on Plectranthus hybrids at Kirstenbosch and now being marketed world wide by Ball Nurseries of Illinois. The foliage is particularly dark green and stiffer than the similar flowered P. ecklonii, and the flowers seem to be available in a range of lavender to deep purple color, and much longer lasting as individual spikes than P. ecklonii, which I imagine to be one of the probable parents.

I have been interested in the herbaceous Plectranthus for some time due to their mostly late fall into winter bloom period, when not much else is showy here in northern California. Unfortunately, P. ecklonii although growing well for me, is a shy bloomer in my fairly deep shaded garden conditions; although it blooms much better with full sun in coastal gardens where I have planted it out.

Since I have only recently been growing this new 'Cape Angels' hybrid, I am unsure if it will continue blooming under longer day conditions similar to P. zuluensis,(which blooms all year round here), or act more like P. ecklonii, which blooms in late fall only. Anyone here know more about this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Hybrid Plectranthus 'Cape Angels'

Bahia, I have one of these I grow indoors next to two pots of Plectranthus hilliardiae. The similiarities are very striking--both have stiff glossy leaves with similar notching pattern (though stronger on the hybrid), and the very distinct long trumpet shaped flowers with speckles on them. Just looking at the flowers alone would make it very hard to distinguish the two, though the hybrid is overall a more robust grower. They have bloomed almost consistently since October though reached a peak around early December. P. hilliardiae has performed better in that regard in terms of long bloom time. Since I haven't had the hybrid a year yet, I don't know if it will repeat in spring or summer (it was in full bloom in August when I got it, but that was right out of greenhouse conditions).

David

o
RE: New Hybrid Plectranthus 'Cape Angels'

Hello from Sweden, wonder if anyone can tell me a sourch for buying seeds to all these beautiful Plectranthus species?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here