Return to the South African Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clivia nobilis

Posted by Conroe_Joe 8b (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 27, 03 at 20:57

Hi,

I purchased some seeds of C. nobilis recently, and they germinated quickly and easily. Some of them pushed themselves up onto the surface of the soil and it was fun to watch the first root-like-thing emerge and wander over the surface of the soil. Eventually, the shoot and true root developed from the root-like-thing.

The whole germination process reminds me of remote germination that occurs in palms. I don't know if the anatomy is the same, but in palms the first thing to emerge is not really a root, it is called a cotyledonary petiole and it it is attached to the cotyledon that stays inside the seed (absorbing nutrients from the endosperm).

I'm told that C. nobilis is slow growing, so I guess it will be a while before I can expect blooms.

Cordially,

Here is a link that might be useful: Cllivia nobilis photos (International Bulb Society)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clivia nobilis

Got some seedlings in pots since last year. They are painfully slow...I hear 5 years to bloom. RJ

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the South African Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here