Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagation advice

Posted by Andy_SthAus none (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 4:47

Hi
Can anyone offer any specific advice on growing S. pachyphylla and S. mohavensis from seed? I've decided not to sit around and wait until they're commercially available in Oz.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagation advice

Use GA-3 - try 375 PPM to start. Give good strong light, bottom heat at 78 F, make a very sharp draining mix in a shallow pan. Less than 12 hours of light will require supplement. These are not difficult if you give them exactly the right conditions.

o

Gibberellic acid is reported to work on seeds of the related S. sonomensis.

Some time ago, I tried it with a lot of Salvias (and Phlomis as well) and found it worked very well. I had access to a culture shaker table that swirled the seeds in the GA-3 solution for an hour. This caused the gelatinous coat on the Salvia seeds to wash off and the gentle bumping together of the seeds helped the GA-3 to penetrate. I planted the seeds the next day and got terrific results.

It improved the yield even on older seed, and gave just under 95% seedling germination yields of S. clevelandii and Phlomis species.

o

Thank you both for that. I forgot to ask in my original post, are these for autumn or spring sowing?

o

Spring. Trying for germination in falling light would not be easy - that is unless you have a very well controlled growing environment.

o

Thanks - all set to go now!

o

Rich, what concentration GA3 did you use? And do you know of a local source here in the Raleigh area or do you use a mail order source?

o

Ralph - try Carolina Biological in Burlington, NC or J L Hudson, Seedsman.

The link is for the paper that I accessed for my experiments. I'm pretty sure I used 100 ppm

Here is a link that might be useful: Gibberellic Acid Breaks Dormancy and Hastens Germination of Creeping Sage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here