Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
curly sage

Posted by herbalbetty z5NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 11, 09 at 6:23

Hi All,

Usually I post over on the herbs forum. I'm hoping someone on the salvia forum can help me. Last year, Territorial Seeds carried plants of Salvia officinalis 'Curly'. They sold out before I could order. They are not carrying the plant this year. Does anyone know where I can get this variety of garden sage? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: curly sage

It's new to me. With Salvia officinalis, I'm interested in finding a form that can tolerate southeastern US hot humid nights. Also dwarf, tidy forms that don't spread around too much.

o

I will try a local grower and check in with our local Herb society to see if anyone has seen this cultivar. What makes it different from other Salvia officinalis varieties?
Art

o

Is this the one (scroll to the bottom of the link)? If so, you might try contacting the wholesaler (Log House Plants) to see where you can find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia officinalis (curly)

o

I have emailed Log House and haven't received an answer. I have also tried the websites of the nurseries on the West coast he mentions on the website. I'm on the East Coast.

Curly sage seems to have a lovely ruffled edge and a narrow leaf. Just something different! I currently have these varieties of Salvia officinalis: Dalmatian, Icteris, Purple, Nana, Tricolor, Sage of Bath, Golden-edge, Berggarten, Extrakata.

o

Herbalbetty:
Sorry no go one Curly Sage my friend in the herb business are growing a form from Israel which performs well here.
Interesting looking plant.
Art

o

Hi Art. Thanks for looking. A sage from Israel? Well, I don't have that either. I will keep my eyes open for it!

o

herbalbetty:
I will get a Cultivar name for you.
Art

o

Richard,
The sage cultivar that has been most tolerant of humidity for me in Northern Virginia has been 'Variegated Woodcote'. There is also the Israeli hybrid S. officinalis X fruiticosa 'Newe Ya Ar' that does well in southern climates. It goes by the common name of Silver Sage sometimes.

Francesco DeBaggio

o

Newe Ya'ar does well in high humidity areas. I grew it in S.ALabama it is not "small and tidy" but it tastes great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here