Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

Quick: snow tonight - and greggii question

DYH
14 years ago

We have a forecast for 7 inches of snow, then a layer of sleet on top.

My greggii varieties all look good right now and I didn't cut them back in the fall. One year, the heavy snow broke off quite a few mature branches (not just the tips) on my larger salvias. I cut them back pretty hard that spring to re-shape and the new growth was fine. However, I really thought I had lost them from the breakage of so many branches.

But, with these impending conditions -- Should I just let them be, or is there some precaution I should take today?

THANKS!

Cameron

Comments (11)

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

How about drapping a tarp over the whole bush? I really don't knw. I am from small snow country if snow at all.. I cut back my gregiis in january anyway so maybe getting the leafy part off would have it hold less snow.

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Too late! It's dark here and we already have at least 2 inches of snow. Maybe they will come through like they did before.

Thanks.

Cameron

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

I've had snow cover mature Salvia greggii plants at my old Greensboro, NC home without damage.

Here in Montgomery County, an hour south of Greensboro, we have had about 1 to 2 inches of sleet, and outdoor plants should be fine.

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We have several inches of snow and then inches of sleet on top. It was all very dry today -- no encasement of ice on anything and the snow/sleet was blowing off of all vegetation. I can see the branches up through the snow, but there are drifts where plants are completely covered up.

Thanks,
    Cameron

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

Cameron,

I'm sure your S. greggiis will be fine. Like your past experience, sometimes the larger branches break from the weight of snow or ice, but the plant always recovers nicely once it sends up new growth in the Spring.

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The snow melted enough today that I can see that there is no breakage. We had a very dry snow this time. But, it is very muddy out there now.

Cameron

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

My weather.com forecast for central North Carolina says we may be getting freezing rain Friday and rain and snow Saturday.

• rich_dufresne
    14 years ago

My weather.com forecast for central North Carolina says we may be getting freezing rain Friday and rain and snow Saturday.

• wardda
    14 years ago

We're looking at up to 2 feet of snow here in South Jersey. It is funny, but prior to the 1990s there were very few storms with totals of 2 feet or more; it is not so rare now. If this one comes off as expected it will be the 2nd such event this winter. The driveway is long and the guy on the end of the shovel is getting older.

• DYH
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It has been pouring down a cold rain all day. This worries me more. Even though I "plant high" the ground is just saturated. Just before this rain, we dug out the top borders above the edging, installed a pipe and gravel so that my slopes won't wash away. So many torrential rains this winter.

For those outside North Carolina who don't know -- we get more rain than Seattle! Only, we have more sunny days (at least we used to).

My rain garden plants are happy, though! The pipe/gravel directs the runoff to them.

Cameron

PS I wish we could add agastache threads here on the salvia forum. That's what I collect! I have two new varieties on zone trial for TN Nurseries.

• wardda
    14 years ago

Start one, they play an important role in my gardening and I am always interested in other people experiences and plants. Right now down in the basement there is a pot with hundreds of seedlings from aurantica hybrids that were differnt shades of orange. The rain east isn't exactly the easiest place to grow them but they are worth it.

Sponsored