Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Indoor or Outdoor?

Posted by gorlax Az (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 26, 08 at 10:28

Hello! I am starting my sage collection and finally was able to purchase a cutting of the rare Salvia divinorum. Now I read that Salvia divinorum does well as a house plant as well as in the garden. My garden now consists of probably over 20 different species. Almost all of them are in a dormant type growth straight because of the cold we have been having. I read that Salvia divinorum is a semi-tropical and should be kept in warmer conditions. I had a huge clay pot probably 3 feet high and 2 feet wide waiting for my tiny plant but then decided to try it as a house plant. I have a few questions on what most would recommend doing. Plant outdoors in cold but roots will have plenty of space in the container or plant indoors with a smaller pot probably 1- 1 half feet and warmer conditions + controlled humidity!
The choice is hard for me. I would love for my plant to flourish and sometimes that's hard to do indoors so someone please give me some advise!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Indoor or Outdoor?

• Posted by dicot Los Angeles (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 7, 08 at 1:09

I'm replying just because this has been stuck at the top of the page for 2 weeks. Most people here don't want get into discussing S. divinorum, but are happy to discuss all the other sages. Sorry.

o
RE: Grow Indoor or Outdoor?

I'd grow it outdoors as much of the time as possible. Most sages will grow far better outdoors than in, even if given ideal indoor conditions. I'd rather have to move it indoors for the winter and have it grow well outside, than keep it indoors all the time. I have found this sage very reluctant to bloom and not particularly easy to grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here