Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Images of Salvia karwinskii x wagneriana wanted

Posted by rich_dufresne z7 NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 6, 13 at 13:46

I just learned that there are two hybrids of Salvia karwinskii and S. wagneriana: `Carol's Delight' and `Marwin Gardens'. I found images of the latter, but not of Carol's Delight. Are they similar?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Images of Salvia karwinskii x wagneriana wanted

Check Rolando's website....he may have this.

o

We have Marwin Garden blooming here now. How do you know it's parentage? No one I know has boned up to knowing how it came about, aside from the potentially apocryphal " from an apartment building in Mountain View, CA".

What is 'Carol's Delight'?

o

I believe I got seed of Marwin Gardens from the same person you did (voodoobrew) in the Bay area. It's both voodoobrew's and my speculation on the parentage. I'm much more sure about the karwinskii as one parent.

According to the discoverer of Carol's Delight:

At the time I was only growing S. karwinskii and S. wagneriana. This is a winter bloomer and will bloom heavily here from late September until February. If untrimed it will become a large multistemed shrub up to 8 feet tall or more. It has qualities of both parents but a longer bloom period than either. It may be frost tender but has survived into the high 20's in Santa Barbara with little damage.

o

I just got the provenance on Marwin Gardens and Carol's Delight much better defined:

Salvia karwinskii x wagneriana (white form) `Marwin Garden
Hybrid from garden of Sandi Martin of Watsonville, CA.

Salvia karwinskii x wagneriana (pink form) `Carol's Delight'
Hybrid from garden of Carol Terry of Carpinteria, CA.

The information came from Kathe Navarez of Cabrillo College.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here