Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Will they make it ?

hummersteve
17 years ago

Back in late nov. I started some scarlet sage as a trial. Well they are still going and looking healthy. IM continueing with the two plants that looked the best. Im growing these under my shop lights. Water occasionally and feed once a wk very lightly. I didnt really think they would last this long , but they seem to be very happy where they are. Sometime within the next month thou I will be seed starting , am already in mode of trying to propagate some african violet leaves. So a lot of the room will be taken up under that light and maybe the scarlet sage will have to be moved and maybe the av plants that I have under that light also as they seem to be doing well the same shop light. I will be keeping the av leaves there thou. Sorry to stray, but trying to paint the picture for you. So should the scarlet sage make it till say april. Ive noticed that even though they look good they have slowed in growing compared to say a month ago.

Comments (7)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Steve as long as the soil doesn't stay too damp and they receive enough light, they should make it. I have my cuttings in south and west facing windows. One of my salvias has already been blooming but I pinch them back so they don't become too leggy and weak. I don't feed any of my plants/seedlings during the winter. I wait until it starts to warm up. You don't want them to get too big while they are inside for the winter. I am trying to keep mine fairly small so that they develop a good strong root system rather than top growth right now.

Penny

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Penny-- what happens with these is they start to droop really badly and watering doesnt help much , but IF I lightly feed them they perk right up . I usually wait untill they get to that point before I do feed them though for I remember what you told me before about it. As I said though they have slowed way down in growth. IN the beginning one plant was way bigger that the other but now they are about the same height. Thanks for your comments

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Steve,
    Rich will probably know much better than I. It could be several things causing the droop. If the soil is drying too much, you culd try putting a plastic bag over the top of the container to keep the humidity up without having to water too much. I do that with most of my plants until they develop a good root system that way I don't have to over water them and possibly lose them to root rot.

Penny

• rich_dufresne
    17 years ago

Proper growth requires the right intensity and ratio of water, fertility, heat, and light. Throw one out of whack and the plant will weaken. Drooping leaves may indicate some root problems from too much cold and/or wet. You can keep plants going in an air temp of 40 degrees with good bottom heat. How close are the leaves to the lamps, and are they unusually broad and thin? Take advantage of the local heat and light gradients, which fall off quickly from the light and heat sources.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are definately not drooping from being too cool. In this room which is fairly small I also have a space heater and thermomoter and I keep it at about 75 ° .At first the one plant was a lot bigger than the other but now the situation is reversed and the bigger plant does seem to have broader leafs. I just know when the leaved drop if I give them some food the next morning they back to themselves. Thanks Penny and Rich.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Steve,
    Indoors I keep my plants a little cooler than 75 degrees and just moist enough so that the soil feels like a rung out damp sponge. If they are in a warm dry environment, you may want to keep a check on them for white fly too especially on the underside of the leaves...(little white specks.) For those of us who are novices at growing and or overwintering inside it is a lot of trial and error learning what works best...I am still learning with each new plant that I grow and am so grateful for the wisdom that Rich and others have imparted to me.

Penny

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Penny, the reason Im keeping the room at 75°is for the germing and propagation, but I will keep an eye out for the whitefly.

Sponsored