Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the name? 3' red salvia...

Posted by evie4 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 31, 09 at 19:10

Many years ago I bought some red salvia starts. We still talk about those salvias. They were about 3' tall and almost as wide. All I ever see at the garden centers are the short ones. I'd buy the seed if I knew what they were called. My husband would be estatic to see those again. Hoping one of you know what I am talking about.

Evie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the name? 3' red salvia...

I am just guessing with out more information. Red Hot Sally
a form of Salvia splendens? Is is annual or perennial?
More information like bloom time ,area of the country you
are in etc..Thank You
Art

o

Art,
I meant to add they were annuals. I bought them here in Oregon (Willamette Valley) late spring most likely, they grew and bloomed all summer. I've been looking the last 4-5 years for them, but all the starts are for types that are much shorter. The ones I had long ago were huge--I really think they were no less than 2 1/2 feet tall. Beautiful and did really well. They were red like the Red Hot Sally, but much much bigger plants. I've grown Red Hot Sally here and they just didn't come close to size of these others.

o

There is a 24 inch form called lighthouse or it could be
a variety called Salvia vanhouttei this one for me gets
about 4'. Another is salvia coccinea "lady in Red" which maybe more of a annual in your environment but should be about 3'. Take a look on the web and see if any of those
would be what your looking for.
Art

o

It looked most like "lighthouse". I'll have to get some seed and give it a try! Thanks so much for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here