Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cagardenerwestelle

California freeze

CA Kate z9
17 years ago

We're getting a taste of what the rest of the nation has as usual winter. Some of my Salvias have been hit and it will be interesting to see what comes back from the roots.

Comments (26)

• youreit
    17 years ago

Interesting is right, Westelle! When it warms up, I'll be seen eyeballing the base of (blackened) plants and heard shouting, "GREEN! I see green!" LOL My 'Allen Chickering' looks good, though. :)

Brenda

• kal2002
    17 years ago

I agree with you all. Wonder which ones will come back when the weather warms. I planted some pineapple salvia in the ground thinking that I would get pretty red flowers for the holidays. Well, they bloomed early but they are all brown now. Funny why the ones in the ground are all brown and dead-looking while the one in the pot is still looking good.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

maybe the age? Mine is okay... a little browned but surviving.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm surprised that any Pineapple Sage has survived this cold.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Yeah, mine (a couple years old, in the ground) is pretty crispy. It was spreading nicely from the roots, too. We shall see.

Brenda

• sarahbn
    17 years ago

Funny I buy pineapple sage every year because it attracts late migrating hummingbirds. However for some reason I can't remember if I planted the 2006 one in the same spot as the 2005 anyway it came back and bloomed in the same spot. So you guys will probably have it return next October or whenever it blooms in California.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've had it survive a mild winter in a protected spot, but not this year with it's 20º nights.

• napapen
    17 years ago

I've been looking at mine too. Phyllis Fancy is pretty awful looking as is Mexican Sage. Shall I just cut the dead stuff off and hope the roots will send up babies. The one that did very well is Hot Lips Mexican Sage. It's still has some blooms.

Penny

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

my poor pineapple croaked after I posted that it was okay. :o( Lost the Van houttei too. GRRRR! but the chiapensis hung on with 2 leaves. :) now it is recovering.

• jenn
    17 years ago

The Van Houttii is toast. The chiapensis is about half brown (but not black). The pineapple sage came through without a scratch, next to the Iochroma which looks like I held a blow torch to it. The S. leucantha fried in the clay pot (a temporary home until I find a suitable spot in the garden) but is now coming back from the roots. None of the other Salvias have even a scratch.

Jen

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did a walk-about today.... (just back from a trip), and things look ratty, but there is green at the bottom of most. I think a cut to the ground will have most looking good in a month or so.

• wanda
    17 years ago

My S. gesneriflora is green and blooming after having the tops fried.
    'Anthony Parker' was total toast, but there's lots of little green leaves coming out of the stems.
    S. confertiflora.....well, I'll just have to wait and see if it comes up from the roots. Everything above the soil is totally gone. Same with S. sinaloensis.
    East friesland, 'May Night', 'Black and Blue and S. guaranitica are totally fine. Guaranitica just kept blooming and is still blooming.
    S. madrensis already has new growth.

My pineapple sage 'Honey Melon' is just brown sticks, but the little cutting I had started in a 4" pot last year didn't even get burned so at least I have a replacement. The pot was sitting under a teak bistro chair, so I assume that saved it.

wanda

• sierradayhiker1
    17 years ago

Here in Roseville I lost Van Houttii and Urica (as usual),Guarantica(species ) 2 locations ,but not B&B or Argentina Sky's.I lost Coccinea (coral nymph),Darci (in the ground ) but not in a pot !also lost Waverly.So I get to go up to Chico and pick up a new order from John at Canyon Creek Nursery and then go to Sierra Nevada Brewery and have lunch and try a few brews so that makes it all worth it.Happy colors to all.

• wanda
    17 years ago

Oh yeah...I forgot about the ones in front.

CA natives...clevelandii 'Winfred Gilman', munzii, apiana, 'Starlight', and 'Carl Neilson' are all fine. Not even 1 burned leaf.

The South African murii (sp.?) also breezed right through.

wanda

• youreit
    17 years ago

Great so far (and probably typically so) -

S. chamaedryoides, clevelandii 'Allen Chickering' (hope it finally blooms this year!), all greggii, guaranitica 'Black & Blue', 'Indigo Spires', all jamensis, mexicana 'Limelight', both microphyllas, 'Nuevo Leon', officinalis, uliginosa.

Still no sign of life -

S. azurea var. grandiflora, corrugata (will REALLY miss this one), darcyi, elegans, farinacea 'Rhea' (high hopes for this one, though), leucantha, 'Anthony Parker', nemorosa 'Caradonna'.

And I'm hoping the coccinea 'Lady in Red' reseeds its little heart out!

Brenda

• youreit
    17 years ago

I found new growth on my elegans yesterday!!! Woohoo!! I just had to share, because I thought for sure it was a goner after the drop to 24F here this winter. This is its 3rd year, and it had formed quite a nice cluster, too. The gopher digging around amongst it didn't even faze it. Whew!

Anyone care to dance?

Brenda

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

I am kinda bummed... I just pulled up my pineapple sage, thinking it was dead as a doornail, I just ripped... I see a tiny little bit of green, and fresh roots and OH NO! It's alive! well, not anymore... it doesn't matter, it wasn't happy where it was, too much sun, the lavender will be happier there.

• youreit
    17 years ago

Ugh, sorry to hear that, Heathen. I still can't believe mine made it. It does get mostly shade, with patches of sun off and on throughout the day, so I'm sure your next one will be much happier in its future less-sun area. :)

My darcyi came back without a hitch...until the slugs ate every glorious leaf off the main stem. :( Hope it tries to send out more!

Brenda

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

I hope so too! I am sort of wondering if my indigo spires will come back... after the slugs ate it almost a month ago, it just sits there. I see one branch is green... the rest are brown.
    my chiapensis is coming back, but the van houttei is just sitting there, I just pruned it back 2 days ago and found live branches... so I am just waiting.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The S. elegans "Honey Melon" didn't make it through this winter's cold as it has the past 5 years.

I'm not sure what happen to B&B, maybe caught the flu.

All but one of the "Navajo Rose" are finally coming back from the base.

I'll have to have a wake for "Anthony Parker", "Ecuador" & "Limelight". I'll invite "Teresa" and all the other greggiis to come dance at the party since they always sail thru winter with nary a cold.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Salvia "Limelight" begs to differ with my announcement of her death. I beg her pardon.

• youreit
    17 years ago

LOL I'm wishing my corrugata would beg to differ on my death pronouncement. Maybe I'll try saying that to her face, then see what happens. :D

Hey, Heathen, at least you still have the chiapensis! Maybe I'll try again this year. Love those blooms!

Brenda

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

Well, MAYBE I have the chiapensis! I mean, I pruned it and saw green stems, but with our 80º temps, it's still not sprouting... same with the indigo spires, but that was partly a snail problem... the chiapensis can't complain, it's been desnailed.

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Just wandering if the current freeze in Cal is spotty or is a blanket covering, because the last I hear the west coast was the ony part of the country that isnt getting hit with the cold. They are predicting record cold for us tonight, hope those hummers can hang on.

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

This isn't a current freeze, it was a freak freeze that happened in November... In the years that I have lived here in Sacramento, there were some winters that were spent in the 40's... and occasionally touching for a few hours on 32, in that November, we went down to 22,for a WEEK, lots of plants didn't make it.
    Yesterday, Sacramento was 81º I think... it was at least on Wednesday.

• CA Kate z9
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Most of California had a long cold winter with many nights being below 32º... highly unusual for those areas not in the High Reaches. At least the CA Pepper tree didn't lose all it's leaves like it did after one COLD winter.

Sponsored