Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fairfield8619

When to divide Wendy's Wish

fairfield8619
10 years ago

After two years with no die back, we had 16F. I really hope that it comes back. I want to divide it since it is 6ft across and is a real beast. I'm assuming to wait until spring just before new growth? Hopefully I will find signs of life.

Comments (10)

• rich_dufresne
    10 years ago

How many shoots does the plant have coming out of the ground at the base? Do you have only a few thick stems, or a multitude? If the latter, what is the radius of the complex at ground level?

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It has at least 20 thick stems and at ground level it is at least 3ft conservatively. I actually measured it! I even cut it back at least half during the summer since it was encroaching on some things. If I could divide it then I could have two beasts!

• robinmi_gw
    10 years ago

I don't think you can divide this Salvia easily. Best to take cuttings in late spring,

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Really? It looks like it could be divided easily, that's if ti is not frozen out. It appears to have layered itself.

• robinmi_gw
    10 years ago

In which case you should have no problems. In the UK it just made one main stem.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok then, I will wait for spring. I need to take a pic, I never thought it would get this big. And now I have discovered a new small one across the driveway and I don't know how it got there, possibly I threw a branch and it got covered in mulch and rooted is all I know.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

I did cuttings last spring--stuck them in shaded soil and put a glass jar over them-- and they rooted in like a week.

I love that plant.

• rich_dufresne
    10 years ago

I've collected a seed off of Wendy's Wish, and it germinated and proved to be almost identical to the mother plant.

• fairfield8619
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm curious, if there are other salvias blooming nearby would they cross? Do all salvias cross? That would be interesting.

• rich_dufresne
    10 years ago

There are a lot of incompatabilities between Salvias, and it also depends on the pollinators, and the geometries . Pollen may be deposited on the wrong part of the pollinator for a different species to pick it up. Also, there are small bees that harvest all the pollen before a true pollinator can arrive. Finally, there are time factors, such as the timing of the bloom seasons.

Sages that do not cross in, say, Massachusetts might well cross in southern California.

However, Salvia hybrids that cross in Salvia-friendly climates often do not do well in more demanding climates, while the opposite is not as likely to be true.

Some of the better hybrids have come out of colder climates and have also done very well in warmer ones.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm