Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Salvia Black n Blue

Posted by paleogardener 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 20:01

Alas it seems the salvia forum is withering (not many posts lately), as many forums are on GW of late...due in no small part to the severity of the winter in other parts of the country, I suspect.

I like to get down in the dirt & observe & learn. In the last couple of years I have become endeared to salvias. Each species is a little different & comes with its own unique requirements or certain fussiness if you will. It is immensely rewarding to overcome these challenges & grow them to a full bloom. But I'm preaching to the choir...
I have an awesome Black n Blue, bloomed all the way 'til Samhain. Now he is spreading wonderfully, with many shoots sprouting far from the original planting. Will he continue to do this year after year? Will the original plant peter out after it spreads? It seems to me this guy is going to turn from one plant into a clump of many, is this correct?Typically, how far can a Black n Blue spread in its lifetime?
As far as I'm concerned he (or they) can spread far and wide in my yard. I'll yank other plants to make room.
I'm in SoCal, zone 9. No winter yet this year. Quite the contrary, days in the 70's, nights in the 40's. Amistads are still blooming as are coccineas, pineapples, tangerines & greggiis. I post this this thread to hopefully get some discussion going & learn more about some of my (our) favorite plants.
Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Salvia Black n Blue

Black and Blue in SoCal is a weed, if it receives enough water. Probably would spread to infinity in fertile, moist soil.

Every couple of years it would be time well spent digging up the patch and replanting the newest, fast growing pieces from the outer reaches of the old clumps. By then the insides will be bare.

o

KermitC:
Got it. Thank you, you told me what I wanted to here. A spreader that I get to putter with now n then. I couldn't be happier!

o

This will be true with most of the straight guaranitica forms as well. Argentina Skies is also especially vigorous.

o

I've had my Black n Blue for 3 years now. Its planted in some shade- which I thought it liked mostly all sun. This is the only salvia that has done with for me.

o

Let us know where you live, and in what zone. There are probably quite a few sages that will do well. Depending on those that failed, your soil type and exposure might also be useful information for suggestions.

Then there are conditions like those on south central Texas, from San Antonio and Austin east to Houston, where ground water works best, because wells tap into an aquifer where salts from an ancient sea make the well water brackish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here