Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paleogardener_gw

Salvia Black n Blue

paleogardener
10 years ago

Alas it seems the salvia forum is withering (not many posts lately), as many forums are on GW of late...due in no small part to the severity of the winter in other parts of the country, I suspect.

I like to get down in the dirt & observe & learn. In the last couple of years I have become endeared to salvias. Each species is a little different & comes with its own unique requirements or certain fussiness if you will. It is immensely rewarding to overcome these challenges & grow them to a full bloom. But I'm preaching to the choir...
I have an awesome Black n Blue, bloomed all the way 'til Samhain. Now he is spreading wonderfully, with many shoots sprouting far from the original planting. Will he continue to do this year after year? Will the original plant peter out after it spreads? It seems to me this guy is going to turn from one plant into a clump of many, is this correct?Typically, how far can a Black n Blue spread in its lifetime?
As far as I'm concerned he (or they) can spread far and wide in my yard. I'll yank other plants to make room.
I'm in SoCal, zone 9. No winter yet this year. Quite the contrary, days in the 70's, nights in the 40's. Amistads are still blooming as are coccineas, pineapples, tangerines & greggiis. I post this this thread to hopefully get some discussion going & learn more about some of my (our) favorite plants.
Thank you.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County