hybridsage
15 years ago

Has anyone tried the "Heatwave Series" from Monrovia

Nurseries?

Art

Comments (10)

• rich_dufresne
    15 years ago

I'm still trying to straighten out differences in the Stampede and Skylight series.

• hybridsage
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know what you mean. My stampede Lavender is still holding
    on 2of the orginal 3 cuttings died. The Stampede Cherry
    is a real winner still not quite as billed. I have other greggii & microphylla forms that have been more floriferous than the stampede series.
    Just looking at the pic's on the web site looks like
    more microphylla than greggi genetic's. Sue said Blaze and Sizzler have been good down under. They are having a heatwave temps around 111 hoping for a cool down in few weeks 90 degreee temps.
    Art

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

Okay, guys, don't hit me over the head for this question.

I know I shouldn't have bought 3 Salvia greggii Heatwave last Fall, overwintered them heeled into garden and stretched their advertised hardiness for Zone 6.

I've got them and I want your advice on what to do with them. No sense in tossing them if there's a chance to baby them into survival/bloom for this year.

Stalks are all brown except for a few that still have a little green on them. I read conflicting instructions about old versus new growth and pruning.

I know I'm in a wait and see situation but could you tell me what signs of life I should look for?

New leaves on existing brown stems? New stems altogether? Since I've read some people prune after last frost (May 15th here) should I cut any little bit off tops of stems? Assume that's for better shape/height regulation in warmer zones but could also be to stimulate new growth...if there's any left in plants. Maybe cut a tiny bit off couple stems on each plant to see if they're still white in there?

Plants don't come out of soil like roots are dead as I've experienced with a couple goners of other plants so far so I'm assuming there may still be some life there.

Don't know and need your experience here in spite of my own stupidity/inexperience.

Plants are about 1 foot tall if that helps. Heatwave series is dwarf.

Thanks in advance for your best advice as to what to look for in terms of signs of life and/or whether I should do anything other than just "wait and see" and for how long.

• gatorinfla
    15 years ago

"wait and see" and for how long.

I wouldn't do anything. (Hard to do, I'll attest to that!) Maybe wait a month or so, I'd bet on you seeing some growth by then.
    My coccinea got zapped by frost and displayed the same characteristics as you describe. They're coming back strong and blooming again.
    It's hard to wait and see, and I'm the most impatient person around. But sometimes that's all ya got!

• MissMyGardens
    14 years ago

Thanks, gatorinfla. Glad to see I'm not the only impatient one around!

I sowed S. coccinea 'Lady in Red' and 'Coral Nymph" under lights and they germinated well. 'Lady' is getting first set of true leaves. I love them for their attractiveness to Hummingbirds. They were easy to care for and flowered through relatively mild November here last year.

I won't be tossing the Heatwave plants anytime soon...I'll baby them for months and see what happens.

If I see any green and the plants don't lift right out of the soil from dead roots I seem incapable of yanking a plant.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I bought "Scorch" yesterday, a medium pink.
    Is this going to perform the same as the greggi's? Is this a greggi?

They're already drought tolerant, hardy etc, so I can't see what will make this series so great.
    But it was pretty! Big flowers, full bushy plant.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

I just bought Heatwave Sparkle Sage from monrovia last week. I
    have been wanting a heatwave sage. The one I wanted I think is
    different from this one, but this is still pretty. Just planted it today.
    The second picture is my tutti frutti that I planted from seed last
    year. It's ahead of all the other agastache's.

Tutti Frutti

• wardda
    12 years ago

The Agastache you are showing doesn't look like Tutti Frutti. It looks more like rupestris or a hybrid of rupestris.

• roper2008
    12 years ago

Maybe I mixed up my seed. I did have some sunset hyssop
    seed also. I will post pictures of flower when it blooms.

• rich_dufresne
    12 years ago

That's not Agastache Tutti Frutti. The plant is an F1 hybrid (hand pollinated) of A. barberi x A. mexicana and the opposite cross is Pink Lemonade (both my releases).

If it was started from seed, it is F2 or beyond and can't be Tutti Frutti by definition.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax