Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Encouraging Branching and Basal Growtjh

susanlynne48
14 years ago

The other thread on pinching back plants reminded me that I have meant to ask this question for some time now. Better late than never especially since I am just now preparing to sow my seeds.

Do most Salvia benefit from pinching and/or pruning, e.g., producing basal stem growth and branching. Or, are they pretty much coded to do it without any intervention by us?

I have completely cut back B&B to about 6" from the ground and it will produce branching but very little basal growth, which I don't mind since it romps around pretty well anyway.

Does it depend on the species or cultivar origin? The seeds I have include S. greggii, subrotunda, regla, darcyi, coccinea, and cultivars of greggii and coccinea.

Appreciate your input. I am so looking forward to having more Salvia in the garden.

Susan

Comments (9)

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

I have grown all the plants you are asking about but S.subrotunda.I have prunned my greggi,microphylla,coccinea
    S."Purple Magesty" ,miniata,coccinea,blepharophylla,darcyi,S."Mystic Spires ,rutilans, van houttei and S."Blue Chiquita" .
    All benefit from a hard prune down in the south.I have one microphylla, farinacea and a few of the jamensis hybrids that I don't prune it seems to set them back in my climate. for some reason.Colder regions don't want to to this as it will damage or kill their plants. I would say depends on cultivar,species and geographic location.
    Art

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi, Art, and thanks. I live in the "temperate" south or upper south in zone 7, so the ones I have mentioned will either die and reseed, or at the minimum die back to the roots every year. So all spring growth will be from either seedlings or new growth on existing roots.

I guess my main concern was are these naturally shrubby plants, or do they need some assistance in the form of pinching/pruning. I don't want to end up with a few long stems and little flowering.

Seedlings can probably be pinched back when they develop the second set of true leaves, or not??? I am not familiar with the growth habit of some of these. I am assuming, based on my experience with Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph', a common one I know, that returns from seed each year, that pinching is not really necessary because it comes up late - around late July here - and I might be pinching off flowering growth at that point. It seems to branch naturally on its own.

So that leaves the others and the species, S. coccinea, which I don't know whether or not grows like the hybrid, blooms late like the hybrid, in which case it probably wouldn't be a good idea to pinch. I guess I need to do some reading.

Ok - you've inspired me to do some research. Thanks!

Susan

• hybridsage
    14 years ago

Susan:
    Pinching does help with getting more shrub like plants.
    I would wait on seedlings to start branching on their
    own then pinch. The key is don't be afraid to experment with how you want to grow your Salvias.
    Art

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much, Art. I did do some research and there is not much discussion on pinching/pruning, so was about to give up.

Susan

• wardda
    14 years ago

Subrotunda needs no pinching although it probably wouldn't hurt. It is considerably larger the coccinea in both directions. It might not be a bad idea to pinch greggii and microphylla seedling in the way Art suggests. I will be interested to know how much progress the last two make for you in their first year from seed. Here in my section of zone 7 they appear as volunteer seedlings once the soil warms up and this seems to be too late for good progress the first year. I just leave them in place and only consider using them if they survive their first winter. If you are starting them indoors you could very well get better progress than I see. The particular garden where mine volunteer is very barren and is never watered.

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Are you talking about the darcyi and coccinea, Wardda? You don't think they will grow enough to flower from first year seedling? I planned to either start indoors or WS in March. May do both to see which one works best.

Susan

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

Coccinea should bloom about 2 1/2 months after sowing the seeds.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I guess I should have read the above posts more closely. I'm just assuming the plain coccinea is about the same as lady in red, which is the one I have experience with, and I see you already have experience with coral nymph.

• wardda
    14 years ago

No, I failed to mention I was talking about greggii and microphylla - sorry.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations