Return to the Salvia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
egg shells to deter voles

Posted by penny1947 z6 WNY (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 11:37

Since i have had a problem with voles in the past I have planted my Salvia G. Black & Blue in large containers. Now that I have several new plants from rooted cuttings as well as seed I was considering putting a couple inground with a base of crushed egg shells. Would this work to deter them or should I try something like pea gravel or maybe a combination of the two.

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: egg shells to deter voles

Don't know about eggshells but I do know my four garden cats sure keep the vermin under control...

Oh the presents they bring me....!

SG

o

Thanks SG
however cats aren't an option as I have a big black lab that absolutely hates cats along with every other four legged creatures that wanders into my yard.

Penny

o

Voles have four legs........ :-)

SG

o

LOL! I left myself wide open for that one. Yes he has tried to catch voles but they usually get to their little hole before he does when he is outside. I also have to keep him somewhat restrained otherwise he would destroy my beds trying to get to the squirrels and rabbits.

Penny

o

Work in crushed rock into the soil, making it harder to dig through. Voles are weak diggers compared to moles. The latter are not herbivores and will veer off in their search for worms and beetle grubs.

o

thanks Rich,
I thought since I had the egg shells that I could also use them. I will continue to use those for other things.

penny

o

Egg shells may not deter the voles, but they are still GREAT for garden soil!

o

thanks Brenda,
yes I always save my egg shells for the garden. I thought that I may get a two fold use out of them LOL!

Penny

o

Chicken grit is a good deterrent for voles - readily available from any farm supply store.

o

i knew about chicken grit and crushed oyster shell but unfortunately I am too far away from any feed or farm supply stores. If we get out for a drive this spring I will have to look for one.

Penny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Salvia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here