Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lou_spicewood_tx

Places in DFW area to get s. greggi?

lou_spicewood_tx
18 years ago

Where would i find them? When do they start selling them? Last summer, I didn't know a thing about salvia and just bought Hotlips off the rack at Lowes. I didn't do anything at all yet they thrived in afternoon suns. The biggest disappointment is that it wasn't RED like the label says. It was Hot Pink color. Apparently they got mislabled. I've done a quite bit of reading on salvia and liked Furman's Red. Do Lowes/Home Depot usually sell them? Or nurseries? Or would I have to order online?

Comments (11)

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

Try one of these two places:

Weston Gardens In Bloom 817-572-0549
    8101 Anglin Drive
    Fort Worth, TX 76140

North Haven Gardens 214-363-5316
    7700 Northaven Road
    Dallas, TX 75230
    E-mail: plantquestion@nhg.com
    Web Page: http://www.nhg.com

Greg Furman, who I think is the son of the collector, lives in Dallas. The father owned a nursery from Kerrville, TX. I got my plant a long time ago from Carroll Abbott, also of Kerrville.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weston Gardens In Bloom, Inc.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks!

• dutchgirl
    18 years ago

Another good place for buying salvias would be at the annual plant sale of Texas Discovery Gardens. It will be on June 3 and I picked up quite a few good salvias last year among which Hot Lips which seem to change color depending on the temperature - the cooler it gets it will be a more pronounced red but changes color if it is really hot (typical TX weather :)

Agatha
    Dallas, TX

• terryisthinking
    18 years ago

The closest to Midlothian is the old Kings Creek in Cedar Hill. It has recently changed hands, but still carries all the natives. Take a left on 1382, go past the shopping area to a light. Turn left and the nursery will be on the right.
    972-291-7650 - I think it is called, something like Petal Pushers now.

Home Depot will also carry gallons this summer, but the nursery will have smaller pots(if you need a lot), and more selection.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

txgardenlady,

I go up to Petal Pushers (used to be Redentas) every once in a while. They're the only place that I know of that has Lacey and Vasey Oak. Other plants too that you don't see at big boxes. I like that place! I just bought some roses there last time I went. Nice people!

Do they ever sell salvia greggi 'Furman's Red'?

• terryisthinking
    18 years ago

I have not bought salvia for some time, so I am not up on the names. I am thinking of putting in more salvia to replace some fussy plants.

Now, I do know that Rohde's has the Lacey and Vasey. I have two Lacey's, but my Vasey died. It put up a struggle though, so I will probably replace it.

Petal Pusher/Kings Creek/Redenta has a good selection of roses. I like their lavendar and herb selections too.

Another place, just for variety, that has lots of salvias and herbs(so many rosemaries!) is Northhaven gardens in Dallas.

What roses did you get? I had about 200 varieties, but have been paring down.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Is it hard to grow Vasey? I just planted it in the fall so hopefully it'd do fine. If not, I can always get Lacey. It would be nice to have Black Japanese pine but I don't know how it'd do in limestone soil.

I got Knock out rose, Belinda's dream and Mutabilis from Petal Pusher. I got home run and double knockout from online store. You know the Earthkind list? I just wanted something easy to grow.

Well I need to go back and finish sodding my front yard. Agh...

• terryisthinking
    18 years ago

Oh no - the Vasey lived far longer than it should have under the circumstances. If you planted yours where it can be watered a little to get established, and where it gets a little sun, and if there isn't an armadillo living under it, then it should be fine.

They are extreeeemly drought tolerant, as is the Lacey. The lacey grows quicker, and it's eventual size, I believe it larger while still being "city-sized".

There are a couple of Jap.BlackPines in the neighborhood, about 30' tall. They seem to be doing fine.

There is a tiny pastry shop in DeSoto. It is in the same strip center as Adams drug store. They have 2 Belinda's Dreams in front. The flowers on it were so huge and perfect that I thought they were fakes. But nooooo. If it only had a scent. Mutabilis is in my garden, and will form a very tall hedge with the Cramoisi Superieur, eventually.

• pricklypearsatx
    18 years ago

I live in San Antonio, and couldn't find any, until about 2 weeks ago. At that time, they only had a handful. Now, the nursery is well stocked.

Guess they figure gardeners prefer to plant in warmer weather???

Around here, Salvia Greggi is evergreen, so I don't know why they weren't selling it earlier.

This is my first time growing it, however it does so well around here, that I'm expecting good results.

I bought both pink and red. The pink has very different type leaves than the red! The pink has pointed leaves, while the red has rounder leaves.

Hopefully, DFW will be well stocked soon, if not already!

• rich_dufresne
    18 years ago

Leaves of true Salvia greggii and some of its hybrids are linear (strap like), with a slight bulge in the middle. Thw tips are usually rounded. Those that come to a point may have microphylla in them. This is the case with `Raspberry Royale', which is a cross between S. greggii `Alba' from Carroll Abbott's Green Horizons and a S. lemmonii (more accurately S. microphylla var. wislizenii - this form also has similar leaves). The leaf margin is smooth or has tiny teeth, especially in the hybrids. The leaf surface is smooth, often glossy.

Salvia microphylla leaves are almost as wide as they are long, delta or heart shaped, with obvious teeth, and often hairy. There is a lot of variation in size, and most forms are usually larger than greggii.

Flower color is usually pure red or fuchsia, with occasional white forms and lighter fuchsia (rose pink) forms and light red forms. Some of the red forms have a little orange tint to them. This range is true for both species.

Where the yellow to orange forms get their color is a bit of a mystery. I don't think anyone can claim with assurance that these variants come from either S. greggii or S. microphylla or an as yet unknown third species. DNA work will be required.

• mboston_gw
    18 years ago

I found two colors at Lowe's today. Both were labelled
    Autumn Sage but one was red and the other was more of a deep pink. There was also a label on both that said Salvia greggi. I don't know that much about salvias, just have a few and they are all different looking. These were in a 3 gal. pot for 5.97.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath