Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edie_h

'Purple Majesty' bloom time in a cold wet climate?

Edie
12 years ago

Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while, drinking in all the information.

I have grown "Black and Blue" for the past two summers. Pounced on my first one at a local nursery because I remembered it got lots of love on this forum. I agree, B&B is fantastic. Love it so much I dug up a clump this fall to overwinter in the semi-heated garage.

I saw "Purple Majesty" in one of the catalogs I'm already ordering from, so it would be easy to add it to my order. Haven't seen any of the large purples locally. I'm wondering if PM would bloom at all in the short summers we have; perhaps that's why the nurseries don't stock it.

I have a homemade light stand and winter over all sorts of things, but the reality is that the tenders can only be outside from June through September. Local average frost dates are May 15 and Sept 30.

I'd like to hear from anyone who's grown PM, or any of the other tall purple hummingbird-friendly salvias, in a similar climate. The burning question is, will it bloom before the frost cuts it down? And will it bloom before the hummers leave? I moved across town last July, saw my first-ever hummingbird in August, and was immediately smitten. Then September came and they flew south. Smart birds.

I know there's a separate hummingbird forum, but you folks are the salvia sages and I see this as a salvia question.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

Edie

Comments (2)

Sponsored